Thread: WTB: Tartan (a la creme :-)

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

WTB: Tartan (a la creme :-)

Hello,

as per the pepita color matching was not so successful, I may turn to a more period correct seat fabric for my 1976 (berk, beuh, bof for some of you) but a passion is a passion and I got this one in my stable for now, therefore need to take care of her.

I would like to get a period 1976 correct tartan to make my front seats to match the light ivory. The car is light ivory, and as far as I know there were only green - red - beige tartan dress.
    The issue is that Light Ivory was not a standard color at that time, and the seats in the car are not the original ones. However the rest of the interior is black and original to the car.

Image (7).jpgImage (8).jpg

Now, I seek advise on the best tartan dress color to match a light ivory paint. I would say beige, but if you look at the Porsche color chart for 1976, the beige looks like....not beige at all, or maybe this is the pic on the brochure which is incorrect.

Once the color is found, I seek advices from where to find it - I search the registry and got a thread back in 2011 with some sources (autobahn,http://www.sitzklinik.de, http://www.autostoff.de). If you have some experience/credentials for those.
    One of them is the well known Soterik (AFS) - Erik any news of your project to produce tartan dress, any pics (I sent you pm) ? (not wearing it of course )

Any pics of cool tartan interiors ? ideally with a light ivory/ivory/bitter chocolate paint ?

Thanks
    Xavier
    Last edited by Xavier PJB; 11-04-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Xavier,

The 3 tartans are blackwatch ( blue / green), dress Stewart (red, blue), and Hunting Mckenzie ( blue, beige).

How do I know all of this - I used to own a 1977 Carrera 3.0 with blackwatch and had Scottish inlaws.

I reckon the bottom one - the Hunting McKenzie, which has quite a lot of beige in it - will look the best with your new car.

A lot of tartan is being fitted to Porsches in Sydney, Australia at the moment... most of it coming from one very good trimmer in Sydney's southern suburbs.

Sorry I missed you on recent visit to Paris.

Justin

I agree....the bottom most tartan looks great and should go well with your car.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Thank you Justin for this advice. (no need to be sorry about Paris, next time )
    Greetings Doug.

So now I need to find the Hunting McKenzie tratan dress to cover my seats...Soterik passed me a source tip. I'll check it out. Thanks Eric.

Cheers
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Just browsed Eric's providedlink (sounds german ) and found this :
    http://www.doepper-profile.de/artike...z=Polsterstoff

The one suggested to be correct:
    http://www.doepper-profile.de/artike...z=Polsterstoff

It took me a bit of time, as I do not speak a word of german...loads of interesting site there.

Looks really cool

Cheers
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

I ordred the tartan dress from Doepper in Germany. 164 euros for a 2x1.54 meters piece.
    Tartan Hunting McKenzie Porsche 911 1976.jpg

I also ordered the 2 ST seats from Deser which will be done with the above tartan and black leatherette.

Will post the seats once done

Thanks to you all.

Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407