Thread: FS: 2.4 MFI Air Box

FS: 2.4 MFI Air Box

2.4 E T S Air Cleaner Top Box.
    It is original and very nice condition
    still has the Shell Sticker.

380 usd shipped

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

bump to the top and best offer OKay thanks !!

If I were to buy the air box......................what's involve in restoring it back to a like-new condition? I didnt see anything on the forum regarding restoring the plastic air boxes.

Thanks!
    65 Sunroof 356C, 70S Targa, 89 Carrera Coupe (original owner), 98 C2S Coupe

I dont know but sanding down with grits and buff polish i would assume.

member #1515
    Thats the way they look. Rough out of the mold, apart from washing and maybe some plastic or rubber treatment nothing to do. There are some metal clips that can be replaced and others pieces black gloss paint.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I just rebuilt my 2.4 mfi engine so I would like to have the air cleaner match all the newly refinish mfi pieces, injector pump, refininshed shroud, etc. rather than having the classic plastic air cleaner with the left side still with a finish & the right side bleached out (sun exposure thru the grill??) over the years.

Anyway, it sounds like I should rough up the left side so I have an even surface across the entire top of the cleaner than perhaps primer & then black gloss paint over the entire top?
    65 Sunroof 356C, 70S Targa, 89 Carrera Coupe (original owner), 98 C2S Coupe

You can't restore them. Not sure why some of them look scratched or streaked. You can find some that have a smooth finish.

R Gruppe #631
    Early 911S Registry #1825

1973E Coupe

member #1515
    this is a very greasy plastic, similar to the fuse box cover in the engine compartment. . Paint won't stick, if you try and sand it it will just get rougher. If you want high gloss use an incorrect metal box. If you are looking for originality keep it the way it is.
    Maybe you can have one made out of carbon fibre if you want a smooth finish.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by prez! View Post
    You can't restore them. Not sure why some of them look scratched or streaked. You can find some that have a smooth finish.
    Scratching comes from mechanics removing them and rubbing up againsts the metal extensions that hold the sound/heat mat in place

I bought a new one in 1998 it had a grain to it definately wasn't greasy and was quite a matt finish

Suspect the heat has something to do with the shiny nature over time.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6