Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A/C removal

A/C removal

I have a 1970 911T that is undergoing a complete bodywork restoration. As its not working I have been asked if I would like the air conditioning removed and the holes in the bodywork filled in. The car will eventually be in the UK where we sadly have little need for AC however I'm torn because I would like to keep it original. Do people think its worth restoring to keep the car original? Thanks

I would def keep it all original, even though you have no use for hte AC in the UK, its best to conserve the 911 with all of the bit and pieces it came with.
    Usually, the ac was removed qhen the project was a racing car, but now a days, even the smallest parts is welcome.
    But if you should decide to remove the ac, i am intrested in the pieces, since a im putting together a 73 that came with ac, and has none of the pieces.
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

AC was often a dealer add-on. In which case I see no issues patching the holes and often gaining back much needed knee room (when the vents are under the knee pads).
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

If it was factory air, keep it. You can always just leave the belt off if you don't use it.
    If it was dealer AC, dump it.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

member #1515
    You can dump it in my bin.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Still waiting for COA so don't know whether its dealer or Porsche

A/C removal

I live in Southern California, so when I was looking for a 1973.5 CIS 911T one of my preferences was to have one that had factory installed A/C. I verified with the COA that it was factory installed air.

I then decided to remove all of it when we restored the engine and trunk bay. We removed that heavy piston compressor and the small ineffective front mounted condenser along with the crash brace, all the lines etc. We took it all completely out while we restored the engine and trunk bay.

I then installed a new vintage type A/C conversion. This conversion consists of a bigger (6x) more efficient condenser on the rear deck lit. The squirrel fan, thermostat control and receiver dryer are all now in the smugglers box. It runs on R 134 refrigerant. It's a beautiful installation. We left the original factory air vents (plenum or registers). It looks original but now has a highly efficient A/C system. I wanted to maintain its authenticity but at the same time have the comforts of effective air conditioning for those warm days out here.

I know we don't think about ever selling our cars, but keeping the car's factory options adds more value. Good luck with the restoration.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    If it was factory air, keep it. You can always just leave the belt off if you don't use it.
    If it was dealer AC, dump it.
    If its a factory installed A/C.........it is always on the COA (which is not the most reliable source)? If not, is there any installation tip-offs to look for that might help determine whether it's a factory vs. dealer installation?
    65 Sunroof 356C, 70S Targa, 89 Carrera Coupe (original owner), 98 C2S Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by bjm12001 View Post
    If its a factory installed A/C.........it is always on the COA (which is not the most reliable source)? If not, is there any installation tip-offs to look for that might help determine whether it's a factory vs. dealer installation?
    The factory Air was made by Behr. The dealer installed units were made by a small number of manufacturers in the US. Coolair, DPD, Meir Line and Delanair are some of the names of the manufacturers.

Regards

Jim

The factory A/C had better compressor mounting, the brackets were all tied into the engine mount console, all the aftermarket units used the little 6mm studs of the chain housing to mount the compressor bracket. They were always pulling the studs out, don't know how many of those fool things I heli-coiled! The Behr systems also used red braided hoses, the aftermarket used black rubber.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.