Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: WTT: My Rolex Daytona for your 911S long hood

Banned
    Excellent stories Mike and Scott. I totally get that and reminds me of how I got into Porsches; they were simply what my dad drove and worked on. Absolutely no prestige or status involved.

(BTW: The mental image of a paper boy wearing a Rolex is absolutely hilarious!!!)

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Not being a "watch" or jewelry person it's difficult to fathom how a guy could wear $200k on their wrist. At least a car stimulates at least 4 of the 5 senses.

I'm fascinated by this sub-culture and always believed it was to project status as I've never personally known anyone who bought a Rolex purely for its utilitarian purposes. For those familiar with this community (Fraternity?), I would love to know how the thought process works when you see a guy wearing one of these. Is it like cars where you walk up and say "That's a nice Daytona you've got there. How long have you had it?" Or is it more like NOT engaging the guy and simply wondering how big his wife's diamond is?

Execmalibu, I'm counting on hearing from YOU on this one.

Be honest.
    Well I had paid about 200dls for mine in duty free (1969). Considering a 911S cost about 9K at the time I'd say the watch would have been the better investment.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    THAT? . . .

. . . is a fascinating offer

Considering what it takes to run/maintain/store/insure a whole nasty/smelly car? . . .

. . . a tidy little Cosmo --- 'Paul Newman' or otherwise . . . would just fit into a safety deposit box --- for almost nothing

I think that you're right about the year-of-manufacture. Those screw-down pushers are better . . . but also later

Would be an awesome trade, though

Thank you for posting!
    Is the one in the last picture high value too? That's pre-daytona.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    . . . Is the one in the last picture high value too? That's pre-daytona . . .
    The last photo looks like a ref 6239 --- the first Cosmograph . . . circa 1963?. Manual wind w/ a non-Oyster (water-proof) case. Rolex didn't put 'Daytona' on the faces until ~'64. And it started-off being printed under the 'Cosmograph,' then moved above the lower sub-dial ~'67

Valuable one is in the 1st photo . . . looks like a ref 6240 --- w/ a true 'Paul Newman' dial . . . square 'block' markers @15/30/45/60 (minute sub-dial) + 3/6/9/12 (hour) w/ 'cross-hairs' on the bottom + left sub-dials, and the tachymetric scale moved off the dial and onto the bezel. 'Screw-down' pushers = Oyster case, still manual wind

'Just watches,' steel-cased and not popular when new --- manual wind, two many complications + pushers, etc, etc . . . consequently pretty rare

Prices took-off in the mid-to-late '80s? These were $40k-$80k watches a coupla years ago, so . . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-12-2013 at 09:43 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Brent I think you may need to trade both plus cash, sales I'm familiar with of your vintage Daytona AKA "Paul Newman" have been in the fifties most
    recently possibly I've missed something but I think I'll hold onto my S and my later vintage eighties auto Daytona for the mean time...Bert

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    anyone want to trade me a ford pinto for my hamilton?
    , good one.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by mike curnow View Post
    In approx 1957, I was in high school. I was washing my fathers car, took off his watch and laid it on the bumper, finshed washing, drove the car, lost the watch ( non Rolex ). It was a cool watch and I was really mad at myself. I went to a watch place and told the jewelar I wanted a watch that I never had to take off, as far as water was concerned. He showed me a Rolex GMT Master, I had never heard of a Rolex . He said it was waterproof, had the date, and a magnafying area over the date. I had a Paper Route and had saved my money so I bought the watch, approx $450.00 in 1957. I have been wearing it ever since. It needs a tune up at the moment so its not being used, but it has never leaked.
    I got mine for my 18th birthday, my mother bought it for me in Switzerland. They were cheaper there $1800 Vs. $2500 in the U.S. Its been my only watch for 32 years, I never had the need for another......Its taken a beating over the years, then again 32 years ago I looked a lot better to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob Abbott

East Coast
    I'm with Frank...who would wear a 200K watch?
    I always liked Rolex's, mostly the SS Sub, but owned/wore many different cheaper models up to my early twenties. Had a client who was admiring the watch that I was wearing (I think it was my fathers old Hamilton) All he wore were Rolex's...made this simple observation, how many watches do you own? Buy a Rolex and you will never wear another watch again. If you ever get in a jam, you can always get $$ from a pawn shop,,,seemed like solid advice....Fortunately my wife surprised me with a Sub on my 25th birthday...29 years later and it is the only watch I wear/own. My clients suggestion there has also held true, I'm still wearing the same old SS Sub for the last 29 years. It still looks great even after wearing it to pour concrete, digging in the yard or wrenching, the watch has held up better then I have Fortunately I have never been in a $$ jam to test the second part of his advice but based on the current selling pricing on a used SS Sub, I'm pretty sure the pawn shop advice would also hold true..
    I remember thinking in '84 that a 1,100.00 sale price was crazy money for a watch....now I look and see what a SS Sub retails for today...yikes...pricing still seems crazy to me for a watch, pay 8k for a new SS Sub?, not sure that I would...250K for a rare one?, crazy... well I guess you can say that about a few other things since 1984... wear a 50K watch? not likely...drive a 150K 911S like I stole it? for sure
    Last edited by MikeM; 11-13-2013 at 03:18 AM.

OG3
    RG715

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    . . . who would wear a 200K watch? . . .
    Which is exactly why BrentF's offer is so fascinating . . .

. . . I mean --- as the values of our cars accelerate . . .

. . . who drives a $200k car?

And even more particularly --- what is it costing to keep our cars?

I would think that BrentF's offer would be very attractive to someone who may be struggling with the run/maintain/store/insure part of keeping their car . . . .

. . . especially if they're not driving it

We Can Be Heroes

Close Call

Not too long after I brought my car out to CA, I went down to South Coast Plaza --- our local über-mall and the largest source of sales-tax revenue in SoCal . . . just 'cause. Anyway, I was cruising the section that had all the high-end watch + jewelry merchants, when --- what do I spy? . . . . but a dedicated Rolex store. I've never heard of --- much-less seen such a thing, so? . . . .

. . . in I go

I'm not exactly dressed for success but, nevertheless, an suitable enthusiastic Sales Guy rolls up and asks me if there's anything in particular that I was looking for

I'd already quickly eye-balled the bigger display cases on my way in, didn't see anything too exciting, so I say . . .

'Steel Daytona, black'

These watches have been virtually unobtainable for at least the last ten years --- which is about as long as I've been looking for one . . . so I was expecting our conversation to be a Short One

It wasn't. In fact --- the Sales Guy doesn't even blink

He gives the usual hard-to-get/special customer/schpeil --- expected . . . but then he does the damndest thing. He asks me . . .

'What would you do with it?'

I tell him --- been looking for years, think that it's just about the most bitchin' thing you can wear in public . . . and that I'd wear it All The Time --- even walking my Nasty Dog

'Hang on a minute,' he says

He walks to the back of the store, gone a few minutes . . . comes back with a brand new ref 116520 --- the one w/ Rolex's own totally in-house-made movement

I'm stunned. I've seen the two-tones and the gold ones, platinum ---usually in the cases but also on actual arms . . . once or twice. In my life

'Put it on,' he says

I do . . . then close the clasp, flick my wrist. Fits. Feels good, too. Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal good

I had the money. But I also had 1059 --- w/ work to be done . . . and I was set to head over to John Esposito's store to have him look her over --- panels/gaps/paint

I thought about it. Buying that Daytona would've prolly pushed-out all my adventures w/ The Nasty Car by a year or so . . . maybe more

I still have the Sales Guy's card. Stop by + say hi every time I'm at South Coast

Fascinating offer, BrentF

Any other car --- any other 911 . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-12-2013 at 01:50 PM.

We Can Be Heroes