Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Plate Bushing Suggestion

Spring Plate Bushing Suggestion

Hi Guys

With the suspension apart, I intend to replace the spring plate bushings. Looking at Pelican there are a variety of brands and materials from rubber to urethane.

Could I get a recommendation on how to proceed? Its a 69E for road use.

Thanks
    Darren

I would use Porsche bushes and glue them to the spring plates with a good 3M adhesive having primed the spring plate with the matching primer that 3M also supply for bonding rubber to steel.

Just did this on a '67. Used rubber bushings from Elephant Racing. A fairly straightforward Royal Pain in the Arse!!!
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

I thought that the 67 cars has 'loose' Rubber bushes that weren't bonded to the spring plates and used the smaller inner bush ?

I know they changed in 1968 but don't know when the changover occurred.

My arms do not have the bonded bushings, and the PO also put on the aluminium trailing arms. Perhaps I'm not dealing with stock spring arms either?

Any experience using the polyurethane bushings?

Quote Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post
    I thought that the 67 cars has 'loose' Rubber bushes that weren't bonded to the spring plates and used the smaller inner bush?

True, but after 45 years of rust/crud/shrinkage/age/ etc. they didn't slip off...
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

If the spring plates you have are original 1969 parts they should have bonded rubber bushes and If they don't they have already been changed which is not surprising.

We always bond the bushes onto later spring plates that we refurbish and we always use OEM bushes we buy from Porsche.

I am not a fan of PU bushes as they need to rotate to work and PU have very high level of friction when the grease washes out.

The visco-elastic properties of PU are also quite different to NBR in terms of Static/Dynamic Modulus and Damping.

For competition cars we use a high impact strength bearing grade plastic bush that we make ourselves and have used for about 6 years now. these operate without grease and have been very effective.

For road cars we always use rubber and the OEM Porsche bush is only about $20 each.

member #1515
    I didn't know Porsche still supplied these bushings. I used the elephant rubber bushings and also their "sport" inner bushing. In fact I replaced all my suspension bushings with elephant rubber about 2 years ago, the car feels like new.
    I had polyurethane in for years and HATED them. Too Squeeky and harsh for the street.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thanks Chris. That makes sense. Do you have a 3M product number recomendation to do the bonding? My inner and outers with both completely loose.

I'd stick with Rubber. Both Neatrix and Elephant racing have rubber spring plate bushings available. Chris, I'm not aware of an OEM Porsche rubber spring plate bushing for this application...at least nothing is shown on PET. Do you have a part number?
    Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products
    www.paragon-products.com
    Early 911S Registry #428
    R Gruppe #375
    1973 911S
    1972 911T
    1974 914 Limited Ed. Blk/Yellow
    1989 944 Turbo
    1993 968 Turbo RS
    1967 Shelby GT500
    1968 Shelby GT500 Conv.