Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Plate Bushing Suggestion

901.333.195.00, readily available and the price has recently fallen.

We use the same bush on the inner and outer.

The PET shows this as the very , very early 356/Beetle style bush but if you order to this number a bush that fits well arrives. They are the ones bonded to the refurbished Spring Plates in the above photograph.

I will dig out a can of adhesive and find Order Code in the morning.

Here's a curve ball....I intend to install the old school Weltmeister adjustable spring plates (old set screw type) on my '67. Not tracking it, but want the adjustability for corner weighting and proper balance.

The Weltmeisters come with a set red "plastic" bushings I do NOT want to use as this is simply a street hot rod. Are there any rubber fitments/bushings available or that I can adapt to these plates to avoid the plastic problems???
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

You may be able to adapt something with some modification but the Weltmeister/Sway-A-Way spring plates definitely take a different bushing. Elephant Racing makes a PolyBronze bushing set for this application:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Poly...on-2061401.htm
    Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products
    www.paragon-products.com
    Early 911S Registry #428
    R Gruppe #375
    1973 911S
    1972 911T
    1974 914 Limited Ed. Blk/Yellow
    1989 944 Turbo
    1993 968 Turbo RS
    1967 Shelby GT500
    1968 Shelby GT500 Conv.
    2010 VW GTI, Daily Driver

I've got the Rebel Racing ones and am very happy with them. No grease, no squeaks.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

mad scientist
    I have never understood the purpose of gluing the bushings to the spring plates (or a-arms for that matter). Can someone please explain? Are these bushings supposed to operate in a rotational shear? I realize this type of arrangement allows them to add to the spring rate and somewhat damp the rotation but there are more effective ways to do this.

I prefer to not glue the rubber bushings and allow for some rotation. I shave them to fit snug but still allow rotation with the weight of the car. With some modern silicone lubrication they do not squeak after years of service. This gives a modern, compliant ride and really helps the car feel planted on rough roads.
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

They are designed to twist. That makes them silent and smooth. Porsche tried bushings that were not bonded and the handling of the 904 was terrible. The stick/slip made for changing corner weights and bad friction and lots of noise. The solution was the silentblocs.

I agree with Max, the twist provides a reasonable degree of damping but very little change to the spring rate when compared to the torsion bar. Bonding them is more to do with NVH than handling. Stick/Slip is an issue and can affect ride height as often seen when the grease washes out of a Polybush.

The front control arm bushes, however, are not bonded into place, they are secured by using a significant amount of radial compression.

Before installation the bush is around 35mm long and the central hole is around 25mm diameter. They are pressed onto the arm which is around 36mm diameter and they stretch to around 55mm long.

This radial compression has a significant effect on the rubber, which unlike steel is non-linear elastic in terms if its behaviour, and increases both its static and dynamic stiffness. It also modifies the tan delta or damping behaviour.

If you replace control arm bushes with the after market slip-in rubber bushes you will not only affect the NVH behaviour but will adversely affect the control arm alignment particularly when cornering.

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    Here's a curve ball....I intend to install the old school Weltmeister adjustable spring plates (old set screw type) on my '67. Not tracking it, but want the adjustability for corner weighting and proper balance.

The Weltmeisters come with a set red "plastic" bushings I do NOT want to use as this is simply a street hot rod. Are there any rubber fitments/bushings available or that I can adapt to these plates to avoid the plastic problems???
    Mark,

You will probably find that the diameter of the splined tube is smaller than the Factory plate, requiring you to use their bushings, or an equivalent. I found this on my race car when I went to polybronze, had to swap the Factory size (with larger ID) for a custom set designed for the SAW/Weltmeister jack screw type springblades.

You can dial in corner balance pretty closely using the original vernier plates, what you save on not buying new springblades you put into labor.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Just go with the factory adjustable spring plates or any one that has a pinch bolt to hold the two parts together.

I like the Smart Racing bushings. We machine them to fit...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687