Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The starting of the stripping process

The starting of the stripping process

Hi All,

I had the opportunity to acquire a nice 1972 911, a little while ago.......now i am getting some time to strip it down and start the rebuilding process. Thought i would post a few photos its going to be a slow but satisfying process, i find it good therapy to work on the car.......yes i might be a little crazy but it was the reason i bought it. to strip and rebuild it. In the end it will be a fun thing to drive. Wish me luck. As you can see there is a little bit of rust in the rear seat bowls and rear parcel shelf. The aim is to take it right back to bare shelf cut out all the rust and ensure that its fine for the next 30 years or so.911S Coupe 1972 067.jpg the starting point

interior now out
    20130328_132350.jpg 20130328_132350.jpg20130328_132406.jpg20130328_132420.jpg20130328_132426.jpg

front guards, bumper and rear bumper now off...
    Last edited by shipard; 12-25-2013 at 11:03 PM.
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

Sorry got interrupted before i could finish.......any way thought i would post this so it keeps me moving forward on the project as well as so other can help with helpful advice as i work my way through the process.

does anyone know the dimensions for a trolley frame to rest the 911 shell on ? i have a trolley just seeing if i can modify it a little to rest the shell on it in the near future. Otherwise it might be just a case of trial and error
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

Clayton

Fishcop on this board has built a octagon rotisserie and can be seen on his thread detailing his resto. The beauty is you can then roll the car over and work on any section easily. Equally you might just want a trolley … But I would start with Johns thread and set aside plenty of time to read it.

Good luck and congrats on starting.

Link to his "restoration saga" below:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint...-69-911-a.html
    Andrew B (Tiger)
    911 69E Historic Production Race Car

Hi Andy,

Thanks i have read Fishcops post a few times and its given me the inspiration to start my project. I am not so sure my skills match his so i will be preparing the shell and panels as best i can before passing them onto a selected panel shop, As i am intending to keep the car long long term i want to ensure the job is done correctly and professionally.

I am adding the pictures from above which didn't turn out.

20131114_144128.jpg
    20131114_144159.jpg 20131114_144210.jpg 20131114_144229.jpg 20131114_144301.jpg

the process will be continued this weekend
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

ok so got a little bit more done today......it was my brothers' 40 b'day so work was cut a little short
    Chicken Meat balls 001.jpg

so speaking to my brother and thinking to i create a dolly or do i strip the shell down but keep it as a rolling shell so easy to float to the panel shop. I am open to thoughts on this. If I do leave it as a rolling shell i would remove then reattach the wheels, torsions bars etc and use copper grease so its easy for when the panel shop guys need to remove these as requried.
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

Hi Clayton

Definitely build a dolly - the chassis can stay on it whilst it is winched onto a trailer. Make sure you use as large a diameter size wheel as you can get hold of... it makes wrestling it about much easier.

Looks like you're going to have fun
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Hi John,

Thanks for the tips, I am sure i am going to have fun.....hopefully i can take some lessons from your project and posts. It is the start of a very interesting project, i have held off for a little while......then i thought well you only live once so diving right in. It a 72 911 so if might have the harder to remove rust protection on floor pans etc, from your experience is the the good old baby angle grinder with the wire brush and heat gun plus scraper to remove the best way ?

By the way if i recall you also started a green car ? how is that progressing.

Again open to any tips as i proceed through the process i will try and keep taking photos on the smart phone and updating as i can.

cheers

clayton
    Clayton Shipard
    Sydney, NSW Australia
    1972 911 2.4S
    2000 Boxster S

Hi Clayton

Unfortunately the stripping of body schutz is an incredibly "manual" process blasting doesn't get it all, and I don't think there are too many stripping tanks about that are big enough to dip a whole car. Wire wheels, powerful chemical strippers, and grist is all that works.

The green car, Grun Hilda, is in lovely original rust free nick, so no where near the work required. It will be a Group Sb race car... http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ing-Car-For-Me

Cheers
    John
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    Hi Clayton

Unfortunately the stripping of body schutz is an incredibly "manual" process blasting doesn't get it all, and I don't think there are too many stripping tanks about that are big enough to dip a whole car. Wire wheels, powerful chemical strippers, and grist is all that works.

The green car, Grun Hilda, is in lovely original rust free nick, so no where near the work required. It will be a Group Sb race car... http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ing-Car-For-Me

Cheers
    John
    +1 John. I still have some bursitis in my shoulder after weeks of scraping with the Bosch multi tool and the steel wire wheel! Messy, noisy and hot work. But the final result with clean metal is great. Seeing some of the rust here makes me realise how lucky I was.

Your new car should be great. What is its history?
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S