Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 303581 see's daylight for the first time in 15 years

man , great story....

....thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradford View Post

Removed the radio and lower dash pad, yes the VIN is there. How is the wood mounted to the dash?

How do you remove the smugglers box door? Lotsa surface rust, but seems to come off pretty easy.
    Wood is mounted to the dash with strips of double sided tape. Gently warm the edges with a heat gun or hair dryer and then slide a thin blade along underneath and they should come off quite easily.

Smugglers box door is held on with 4 cross-head screws - 2 on each hinge. Open it up and look on the inner bulkhead edge.

Mick

Prof. of Pending Projects
    If not doing so... you should apply something to the areas that you have sanded down to metal... rust starts forming right away...

Thank you for sharing the story. Gives me hope that I can find something like that.

Subscribed for the journey...
    Drive safe!
    Jaime O. Diaz (a.k.a. Wachuko)

1967 - Porsche 912 - Ownership Thread
    1981 - Porsche 911 SC - Transformation to RS
    1983 - Porsche 911 SC - Transformation to 1974 RSR 3.0
    1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet - Ownership Thread
    1981 - FIAT Spider - Ownership Thread
    2015 - FIAT 500 Abarth
    2015 - FIAT 500c 1957 Edition
    2012 - BMW X5 xDrive35d

Cool, another '66 sees the light of day!
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

Quote Originally Posted by MTemp View Post
    Wood is mounted to the dash with strips of double sided tape. Gently warm the edges with a heat gun or hair dryer and then slide a thin blade along underneath and they should come off quite easily.

Smugglers box door is held on with 4 cross-head screws - 2 on each hinge. Open it up and look on the inner bulkhead edge.

Mick
    With respect to my Anglophone brother, the dash on that year is held on with fragile brass studs that protrude through the aluminum channel the wood sits in. Then black conical UFO speed nuts hold the studs through the dash. These must be removed with needle-nose pliers carefully so the brass studs do not break. Once removed, the nuts are destroyed.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

MTemp, thanks for the tip on the smugglers box door.

Quote Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
    If not doing so... you should apply something to the areas that you have sanded down to metal... rust starts forming right away...

Thank you for sharing the story. Gives me hope that I can find something like that.

Subscribed for the journey...
    Thanks for the tip. I'm in a pretty dry area and the car is covered, but I will keep an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    With respect to my Anglophone brother, the dash on that year is held on with fragile brass studs that protrude through the aluminum channel the wood sits in. Then black conical UFO speed nuts hold the studs through the dash. These must be removed with needle-nose pliers carefully so the brass studs do not break. Once removed, the nuts are destroyed.
    Thanks, where can I pick up replacement speed nuts for this?

Anyone know how to remove the lead weights from the front bumper?
    Scott

speed nuts can be bought from Pelican or any Home Depot. That is where I got mine
    911 1967S 308470
    [B]911 1965 301946 Irish Green
    [B]911 1965 302962 Polo Red
    911 1965 300760 White SOLD
    911 1971S S/T 2.5
    914-6 1970 GT 2.3
    Look for me at a track near you!
    Early S Reg #2699
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/MachineMotorsports

They are cast iron weights and I thought they just bolted to the bumper- the overriders were filled with cast iron. But I could be wrong.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Rookie question here......pulled the interior and underneath the rear pop out windows on both sides are holes. On the passenger side there is a threaded hole and on the drivers side it is a clear hole. What are they for? Thanks

Scott

Optional shoulder harness mounting.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.