Thread: Perlon carpet

Perlon carpet

On a scale of 1-10, how difficult is a DYS Perlon installation?

I bought the kit from Auto's International and did it myself. Not too bad, easier then doing square weave in a 356. Lay everything out , if possible in the sun (Victorville, no problem). Glue both the car & the carpet and let set a few minutes before you put it in. I put in the sound deadening on top of the mat under the carpet, this really does help with the motor/road noise. If the fiber mats are out put the sound deadening direct to the body then the mat then the carpet. Mine is a driver so I sacrificed the xtra weight for the creature comfort (wife). I think it was worth the extra effort & expense and you can not see it. Follow the installation instructions or go on line, there are quite a few step by step guides. I used a commercial auto carpet glue, a rubber hammer and scissors/razor. Remember measure three times cut once, go slow and you should be fine.
    Mine looks great.

The carpet kit is pre-cut. Is that a bad choice for shrinking or do they usually shape/cut it to accommodate for that?

Bob I LOVE your use of "DYS" (Do It Your Self?") I see many here use "DYI" which looks more like this ("Do Yourself In") when they mean "DIY" ahhh dyslexia!

Name:  DYI.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  80.4 KB

MB. Sorry, my bad.

I bought my Perlon kit from Tony, Autobahn Interiors. Fit perfectly. I installed it myself, although I needed a little help in forming the kick panel pockets. Other than that, I thought it was fairly straight forward as long as I was taking my time. Definitely pre-fit the pieces marking lines on the floor prior to your glue down. Note: Perlon shows every imperfection, crease and wrinkle if it is not smoothed and flattened before the adhesive dries. I used a hard plastic bondo applicator for this purpose. Don't be afraid to lift the piece back up if you you've got an imperfection or wrinkle. Now's the time to do it cause you won't be able to fix it later. I had to reapply a couple of pieces during my installation.There is also a specific installation order for each piece. Perform a search here and I'm sure you will come up with that template. Hope this helps...

Tony