Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bringing the family to California

Question Bringing the family to California

So, 2 years ago we got engaged in LA, went honeymoonin´in California last uear and now that we´ve become 3 in our little family I couldn´t think of a better vacation together than California.

We are flying from Sweden to LA 4/30 and are looking to rent a cottage/small house close to the sea, could anyone of you local´s point me in the right direction?

We are looking for a calm, nice and cozy place, close to restaurants and shopping but not in the middle of everything so to speak. We´ve been to La Jolla, Santa Monica and most coastal cities in between but we´ve never been to any cities between LA and SF so we were thinking Santa Barbara? Monterey looks really nice but is a bit of a drive up..

Hugely appreciate any comments or advise on city/accomondation!

Regards
    Jesse
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic

Santa Barbara is lovely, college town. I love Monterrey and then anything close to San Francisco. Forsure more guys will be able to give you better advise.
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

You may think Monterey is a bit of a drive up, but the Pacific Coast Highway from LA is one of the premier drives in the world. Once in the Monterey area, you have a number of choices - all good. There is the town of Monterey, but adjacent to it are Pacific Grove, Carmel and Carmel Valley. All have their individual charm. If you stay close to Cannery Row, you can easily walk to a large number of great sites and restaurants. Wonderful sea food. There is a very active PCA and Porsche 356 Club in the area and if you list your desires on the 356 Registry you will get lots of options. I currently live in the foothill area of the Sierra Nevada mountains and go to Monterey several times a year for car events. It is a hot spot with the Laguna Seca race trrack and it's many events, such as the Historic Races in August, a number of auctions, and the recent Rennsport event Don't write the area off.

Monterey is also my pick. I went to college in San Luis Obispo, which is also a very beautiful area when you include Morro Bay and Montana de Oro State Park, and made the drive up the coast many times. Once you get past Goleta and the Santa Barbara traffic it is a very nice drive all the way up to Monterey, which is as far as I've been. You might consider stopping over in San Luis Obispo and making the ~2 hour drive to Monterey in the morning. That is what I did for races at Laguna Seca. It's all beautiful.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Google 'Shell Beach, California'. or Pismo Beach, Calif. about 1/2 way between LA and SF.
    Also check 'Avila beach, Calif. A great old 1950's inn there. Inn at Avila Beach.
    Lots less to do, though, than Monterey/Carmel....
    1969 912 tangerine coupe 82K original miles
    1974 911 red targa 71K original miles

Tom Michelsen
    Central Coast Heaven

Shell Beach, California

Yup, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Avila Beach, Pismo, all really close together.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Santa Cruz and Big Sur are favorites of mine.

I really enjoyed San Luis Obispo, Carmel and Monterey. The drive from LA to SF has been probably the best I've enjoyed (and we have some great drives here in Australia).
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Stop and see Hearst castle on the drive. Very cool. Reserve perhaps and plan on spending several hours there.

I also recommend the Central Coast. Pismo Beach, Grover Beach, Arroyo Grande for the smaller not as well known places. Monterey or Carmel for a bit more upscale.