Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing thoughts on 914's

Wow, that blue beast is aggressively beautiful! Love the flares, front fascia and integrated side view mirrors. Nicely done!
    Zed

Quote Originally Posted by demo View Post
    For over 40 years I have been driving, buying and selling Porsche. Out of the hundreds that have gone thru my hands, from 356, 67S, 79 Turbo and everything in between. My 9`4/6 conversion is with out any reservation the most fun drive of them all! I love my 72/911 w/3.2, its my cruiser. But for "full grin" my 914 is always the first choice.
    Great car.
    Do you run a 901 or 915 transmission in it? Can a 901 handle the torque if you skip 1st gear?

I'll throw mine in the mix. An original paint, Willow Green, 53K mile 1972 1.7.

I have a 56 Speedster, which gets a lot of attention when I drive it, the funny thing is that the 914 gets just as much attention, for much less money.

I think they are a great value, and a hoot to drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob Abbott

Great cars Rob! (And what's the signal orange (?)911 at the curb?

Which do you have more fun driving? The speedster or the 914?

Ok, so I will be the "bad guy" of this thread. 914s never did it for me, and still don't. Growing up, I always felt vinyl roofs on cars were not attractive, and just appealed to older folks. The styling always was off for me, and I still feel the Karman Ghia (or a Cayman today) is better looking. I won't criticize the cars too much, as I am sure ill just stir it up too much.

Maybe I am missing out, but these always reminded me of cars like the Fiat X19.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    Great cars Rob! (And what's the signal orange (?)911 at the curb?

Which do you have more fun driving? The speedster or the 914?
    They are both fun, but I would have to go with the Speedster. The Speedster has a bored 65 SC motor that been built to about 130hp, with a Carrera 2 transmission. It was built pretty much as a 1960s period Hot Rod.... an R-Gruppe Speedster?

Thats " Agent Orange" a 911ST Tribute I built a few years back . Here is a link to the Pelican thread.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...afe-racer.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob Abbott

It has a 3.0 twin plug semi race motor, 285HP dyno at the crank. Car weighs 2000.
    Happy with my 901, short gears, limited slip.

old softie67S
    Quote Originally Posted by demo View Post
    It has a 3.0 twin plug semi race motor, 285HP dyno at the crank. Car weighs 2000.
    Happy with my 901, short gears, limited slip.
    My 914-6 has a 3.2 twin plug short stroke motor. I also run a 901 with short AFMSX gearing and ZF limited slip. I am sure I could ruin it being stupid in first gear, but short of doing burn outs, it handles the job just fine. If I extensively tracked the car, the heat might shorten the life, on the street, no issue yet.
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

I'm going to join "Peanut" and even take it further - ugly then, ugly now. If I am in my 911 and see a 914, I wave out of respect for the era but never for the car. Some things look better as I get older - for instance back in the day I was never much of a fan of Ann Margret or Raquel Welch and now, Holy Cow! Some things look great from day one and look even better with age such as the Ferrari Dino. I guess that Ann, Raquel and the Dino all have great curves & are stunners but never the 914 for me.
    David

1972 911T Targa
    1993 964 RSA #14
    Early S Registry #1799
    PAID MEMBER 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by mvboy View Post
    I'm going to join "Peanut" and even take it further - ugly then, ugly now. If I am in my 911 and see a 914, I wave out of respect for the era but never for the car. Some things look better as I get older - for instance back in the day I was never much of a fan of Ann Margret or Raquel Welch and now, Holy Cow! Some things look great from day one and look even better with age such as the Ferrari Dino. I guess that Ann, Raquel and the Dino all have great curves & are stunners but never the 914 for me.
    I have a Dino but still love the looks of the 914.