Thread: My Engine Story

My Engine Story

My Engine Story

Twenty five years ago I bought my first 911, it was a 1972 2.4 S. The car drove for a while but the engine never ran right. I saw a small ad in a local newspaper showing a 911 engine for sale. It was a fella I never met before called Ivor Murphy here in Ireland. He had a rebuilt 2.2S engine and I bought it but he insisted I would have to give me my 2.4 S engine in part exchange. Many years ago matching engines were not an issue, we just wanted the car to drive as cheaply as possible. Over the next 25 yrs I got to know Ivor better from doing Porsche Open Racing. My 2.4S car was almost destroyed when I crashed on the 2000 West Cork Rally. Not having money then, and not knowing who to get to repair it I just left the carin the open in the back of my brothers garage for 11 years. In 2011 I sent the car to Colin Belton at Ninemeister in Warrington UK and he began to rebuild it as new. I began to wonder about an engine. For racing I used a 2.7RS Engine which I sold after the crash. I decided to call Ivor to see might he be able to track down my old engine. It's here he said, still on the bench where we both carried it 25 years ago, untouched. I explained my situation and Ivor to his eternal credit sold me back my engine at a very fair price. Remember, what goes around, comes around. Do the right thing, always.

For anyone interested here s a link to the thread on my rebuild by Colin at Ninemeister, takes a while to read. I'd like to copy the thread here to early 911 but dont know how to do so, or whether it might upset people.

Dave

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...al-or-not.html

Dave,

Great story....
    I think giving us the link is just fine as is...
    Now you can add to this thread for future developments...

Not sure where 'Steve McQueen' in the title comes into the picture....

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Steve McQueen - when you read the thread you see I agonised re the colour. Colin added in the Steve McQueen bit after some months as I was leaning that way. Reason I did not go for Steve McQueen ( Slate ) Grey is that ts just a teeny weeny bit too grey ( dull ?) and also I was afraid it would become too popular after the sale of Steve's car.