Thread: Which Pertronix Ignitor

Which Pertronix Ignitor

I've done a search and couldn't find anything recent or relevant. I am looking at replacing the points in my '70T with the Pertronix Ignitor. They're relatively cheap so I can reinstall the points if I'm not happy with it.

The info I read on the Pertronix website says I need the 2862 model. Doesn't seem to matter if you have a T, E or S. Can anyone confirm this? I have the Bosch distributor (0231159008) and Bosch coil (022112100) on webers. From what I have read I understand I do not need to make any other changes, such as the wires (I have Beru) or the box? Thanks.

I am a fan of the Pertronix stuff up till I put the unit into my 71 T with the Bosch 231 159 007 (S version) of the same bosch dist. BUT the hold down & mounting is poor in my experience tiny screw under the plate. I will go to the garage and get you the # on the Pertronix unit and honestly you can have it if you want.
    seemed to move around effecting timing, went back to points. Using a stock CDI box.
    Honestly not trying to knock Pertronix I have 4 other cars / trucks one a 78 MGB running it since mid 80's with it but I think this Bosch Dist unit needed a better mounting design.

Will go get the stuff and post the # you are looking for.

Regards

Regards

EDIT: you are correct on the unit # 2862, and yes for T,E & S same (if Bosch) dist with different curve which has no effect on the Pertronix unit. In pulling the unit out of garage the issue is more clear.
    You mount the Pertronix mounting plate (aluminum ring) with one flat head screw into a points mtg screw hole (one for a 50mm dia plate?)
    then you mount the pick up unit directly over the one mtg screw using 2 small Pem studs with tiny hex nuts. My "preceved" issue is you have a 50mm ish dia mounting plate mounted by 1 small flat head screw, and the unit is directly over it, the rest of the entire plate has no securing fasteners. Mine ran great then not did that twice and went back to points.
    I do like their unit just not this mounting system, Gives me a reason to piddle with the car on occasion doing new points but with the CDI it is more fun playing than really the need.

I am sure others are using this and liking it.

Offer is still there, unit is on my desk if you want ti, send me a PM with a ship to.

Regards
    Last edited by Jerry L; 12-05-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks for the detailed info and offer Jerry. Did the hold down screw come with the Pertronix or was it part of the distributor? Not liking the idea that it moves. Do your other Pertronics installations have the same mounting? I don't imagine the design has changed since you bought it. I would be interested in hearing from anyone else that has it installed in this distributor before having you send it to me and then not using it. Would the 007 distributor be any different than the 008 for mounting?

Mounting screw came with the kit, mounting is the same on the 007 as others in the part number series, I also have a 006 E dist. same.
    Happy to send it if you want to give it a shot, it is a simple install I can give you the wiring for use with the 3 pin CDI as well, the instruction book is a bit confusing.

Regards

Edit, missed part of your question, The Pertronix units mount differently for each different distributor design, none of my other uses have this small screw under the pick up unit or the tiny studs & nuts to hold the pick up unit down.

I have a Pertronix unit on my 70 S for 12 years without a problem. I guess my mechanic knew how to install it . Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

That may well be, as i mentioned I have the units in other cars & truck and love them. This set up is just a bit iffy for stability, and as I also said there have to be many out there that are using them. As far a mechanic skills go, one phillips screw and 2 hex nuts (all tiny) does not take a high level of skills to figure it out. after the 2nd install I thought about a low strength thread locker, but said screw that and back to points.
    Sounds like you are lucky to have such a skilled mechanic looking after you.

Regards

I was lucky until I lost him to Jerry Seinfeld who only works for him now. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Mr Irish 911, let me know if you want it, If no word in a couple days I will let it go to who may want it, or post it in the Free thread. in box with instructions.

Regards

Thanks to all for your comments. I'll give it a try. I sent you a PM Jerry. Thanks.