Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7R wheels on the track?

7R wheels on the track?

I have an original set of 7R wheels that have been refurbished by Harvey Weidman. I was thinking of using them on the track with my wets (Toyo 225/50/15 R888s) on the rear. Does anyone have experience using modern tires with 7Rs on a track? Are you using inner tubes?

Thank you,

Andrew
    1972 911 Narrow-Body Group 4 Project - On The Road.

I always worry about using this type of rim with Tubeless tyres - although many people tell me my concerns are unfounded.

I am sure, however, that running a tube inside a modern roughly finished tubeless tyre is unwise as the tube will tend to chafe and overheat.

Chris - Thanks for the comment on tubes - I was thinking the same thing when running radials.

Is there anyone running 7Rs on a track?
    1972 911 Narrow-Body Group 4 Project - On The Road.

Does autocross and 12,000 street miles count?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post
    I always worry about using this type of rim with Tubeless tyres - although many people tell me my concerns are unfounded.

I am sure, however, that running a tube inside a modern roughly finished tubeless tyre is unwise as the tube will tend to chafe and overheat.
    Chris

You concerns are, indeed, unfounded.
    Running innertubes in tubeless tires is unwise.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Does autocross and 12,000 street miles count?
    No, because your experience does not validate the doom and gloom. You are the exception and not the rule.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I have seen 7Rs cracked radially from the lug hole to the triangle. This was at Summit Point a few years ago. Guy had one crack, then went out and got two more cracks.

With the price of 7Rs, and the fact that they aren't quite the right offset anyway, why not use them for show, and go with a lighter, disposable, perfect offset wheel. When you are on the track you need the. . . er. . . freedom to operate over the turtles, off the edge, etc. "Grass is a racing surface" as they say.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

With the price of 7Rs, and the fact that they aren't quite the right offset anyway, why not use them for show, and go with a lighter, disposable, perfect offset wheel.
    Yeah, I was kinda thinkin' the same thing... have Harvey make you a set of fake 7R weld-ups or use a pair of later 7s for the track, and leave the early (real) 7Rs for "parade" days. No sense in borking a matched pair of vintage race wheels that are quickly becoming the most expensive bits you can add to your car just to do a track day...there are alternatives that either look the same or very similar at 1/4 the price.
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

Yes, have Harvey W. make you a set of 7R's. But you need 4 wheels to make two 7R wheels. for the inside wheels, you can get the cheaper flat 6's. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Do us ALL a favor ... please please please please please stop cutting up Deep 6 wheels! They are getting expensive and much, much harder to find.

Just start with something NEW ... www.group4wheels.com
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687