Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best audio upgrade in Classic 911 (72)

Best audio upgrade in Classic 911 (72)

Hi,
    any advice about a good audio system in a coupe from 72 ?

thanks

fred ©

Quote Originally Posted by carrera79 View Post
    Hi,

thanks

fred ©
    Unless you're talking about something really crazy, a decent system in these cars is fairly easy to pull off.

I haven't added a system to any of my longhoods as I prefer to keep them original, but I've put several nice systems in other 911's I own over the last couple years and you could certainly do the same to an early car.

My basic 911 system consists of a decent head unit (I like the way Nakamichi's look in the 911 dash but if you want more bells and whistles the Alpines are big bang for the buck). In the doors I install a set of 5 1/4 components. Don't skimp here as this is where your sound is coming from. I usually go with top of the line Focals but, if you want to save some bucks, I just helped a buddy do his 911 and we used a set of the JL Audio C2-525's and they were pretty impressive. Under the driver seat I install the amp to drive the components. There are several slim amps that mount nicely there. 100w x 2 will be more than enough. Under the passenger seat, you'll have room for a slim, powered subwoofer. If you're a real audiophile (like I used to be) you'll be tempted to sneer at those little powered subs but you'll be surprised what they can do in within the tiny confines of a 911.

I've got this same setup in a couple of my 911's and in my 930. It looks correct for the car (what you can see) and it's more than enough sound for me.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 12-13-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carrera79 View Post
    Hi,

thanks

fred ©
    sport muffler, I like m&k
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    sport muffler, I like m&k
    this is kind of what I was thinking. drove over 4000 miles this summer with no radio.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Hi,
    thanks for suggestions about muffler, i'll sure will have something nice this way

but I also like to drive with some good music (from iPhone) and asI did in my 993 targa (amp Focal under my boobs, subwoofer Pioneer under my wife's )
    and I've put some Quark speakers very good quality !
    but should I put speakers in the classic doors ??
    any pict appreciate

fred ©

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    I just use headphones.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

68 Blaupunkt with a DIN input in the glovebox for the iPod. Monty Muffler does the masking ...
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Recently I have checked into and listened to several Bluetooth portable speakers. Most will give an 8 hour play time. They sound remarkably good. Nice in they can tuck just about anywhere and when you don't want a stereo you can just put it in the trunk. They of course would have been driven by a Bluetooth device such as a smartphone.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Don't forget to treat the doors - sound deadening and more; better stereo = heavier car, so stop whenever you want.

I think this would be a great alternative. Vintage looking suitcases with amp and speakers built in.
    http://theboomcase.com/
    No affiliation, just an interested bystander.
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images