Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for PORSCHE decal color on doors and engine lid

Ideas for PORSCHE decals on doors and engine lid?

Looking for ideas for PORSCHE decal color on bottom of doors and engine lid. The car is signal yellow and I'm not sure if I will be using bumper stripes. Looking for something other than black, although that is what the car came with, not sure if it was dealer or factory installed though. Anyways, the car is not original anymore and I want it to be creative but not gawdy, I was thinking of a medium grey or a shade lighter or darker than the signal yellow? What color would go best with Chuck Miller's pucture?

Happy Holiday's, Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by m471; 12-14-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Irish Green? Tangerine?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Here's a small sampling of photos I've collected over years that I could come up with on short notice, can't guarantee they're all signal yellow, but they all are some sort of yellow shade……………but I respectfully suggest, given a Signal Yellow 911, the threshold of 'gaudy' has already been advanced a bit in the 'loud' direction, and I submit that not being entirely original further removes a measure of restraint from the choices available.

Shot #2 is submitted to illustrate that with a little imagination you could combine colors for the PORSCHE lettering and have the bars above and below the side decals in a different color than the lettering, as in the center stripe down the middle. Some of the photos are submitted merely to show how colors might work in close proximity to each other.

As a simple and readily available option, don't forget that RS graphics came in red, black, green and blue.

Bob Tilton, long-time member of this board, has supplied side-stripe decals in many colors other than black and has furnished custom multiple color decals…….and then there's always silver metallic or anthracite grey for an elegant look - also available from Tilton. Personally, I think a deep, dark, metallic midnight blue might add a calming effect to the signal yellow.

Good Luck,

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Fleiger: thanks, i didn't think of tangerine. John: thanks for the pics. I was also thinking of a bluish, green, grey and from Bob's samples, eucalyptus is close. It's hard to tell from th computer screen, though. Steve.

I like the blue / gold combo quite a bit. Not with the wheels but the script.

Maybe a darker blue if I were doing it…

My minds eye sees burgundy or slate gray. Maybe in combination somehow, similar to John's photo 2.
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

Try googling up a colour-wheel... https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...w=1280&bih=629

Find the section of the wheel that closely matches your colour - normally the opposite side colour offers a nice contrasting stripe. I agree with Aldo, I think something in the Aubergine (purples) range could look really cool and unique.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Just leave it, it looks great!
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Thank you all for the replies. Kris: that thought crossed my mind but I think it needs something, that's why I thought about just doing the doors and decklid. Fishcop: I did look at a color wheel but i was thinking of something more complimenting than contrasting, that's where I got the idea of a lighter or darker yellow. Please keep the suggestions coming and photos really help.

Steve.

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by m471 View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. Kris: that thought crossed my mind but I think it needs something, that's why I thought about just doing the doors and decklid. Fishcop: I did look at a color wheel but i was thinking of something more complimenting than contrasting, that's where I got the idea of a lighter or darker yellow. Please keep the suggestions coming and photos really help.

Steve.
    From a guy that is seeing it for the first time, it looks so sharp in its clean state. sometimes you look at something for awhile and see things as needing something because you've been staring at it. It looks great naked, but I'm sure it'd look good with some subtle decals. I wonder what some "matte" porsche script on the side in the same color as the car would look.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1