Thread: Advice for attaching seat belts '72 Targa with older seats

Advice for attaching seat belts '72 Targa with older seats

Hello, I believe the seats on my car are incorreect. The seat belt and retractor is attached where it should be on the B pillar. The seat buckles are missing and there are no brackes for attaching these or the end of the seatbelt itself either inboard or outboard on the seat. I've spoken with Jim B. and he has no original brackets. I've ordered some 928 brackets but these are weeks out from Germany and are quite different. I'm hoping to make them work somehow. Any advice rendered is appreciated. I believe the brackets should look as pictured.......Name:  seat belt bracket.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  8.3 KB I've been living on the edge driving unrestrained..........

Yes thats them they fit under the seat runner on the back potion of the bottom of the seat. You willl need to loosen the allen head bolts that hold the seat runner then you can slide the bracket into place,
    its also held in place by 2 allen head bolts as per the seat runner. Attach the buckle before sliding back into position its easier that way.
    Bolt is always on the seat side otherwise the bolt gets in the road when you try to tilt the seat forward and it won't!!!!
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Thanks.

I'm actually needing brackets for my seats.

Suggest you post in for sale under WTB your heading
    asked for fitting advice thats why I responded that way
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

I appreciate that. Thank you. Looking for both advice regarding using those brackets or an alternative approach to getting the seatbelts attached should I not be able to locate brackets. Anyone fabricated such a bracket before?

I think I got some aftermarket bases from Brey Krause, but can't find any on their website....the ones I purchased were heavy stainless...they mounted under the seat rails like the factory mount, but are much more robust. I had to open up the hole in the seat belt receiver and shimed them up with nylon washers. These are NOT stock and the concours folks will swoon, but they are much more robust than the stock configuration....now the entire set up will just rip out of the body of the car on impact....

I have a pair of these but I'm in the UK. If you have no luck locally get in touch. They have been recently powder coated. Don't think I have the bolts, but would need to check.

No idea of their value, so you'd have to do a bit of research and make an offer.

Mick

Update - 928 seat belt brackets received from Germany this morning. Also purchased these planted seat brackets from 425Motorsports in Bellevue, Wa. Off to the garage to play.......hopefully the right solution is among these options.......Name:  IMG_4258.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  145.8 KBName:  IMG_4259.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  89.5 KB

Mr. Clyde, I followed your directions. Indeed, there is very little clearance for the seat back apparatus as it tilts forward and as such, the 928 brackets will not work. The original brackets are narrower, longer and angled forward from the attachment piece. The whole brackets picture above will not work either as the seat base won't fit through the large square hole in the bracket; the seat base is much bigger.

Mr. Mick in the UK, I might just need your brackets! Let me see if anyone stateside responds to my ad in the classified section.

Best,

Ravi

Those brackets would be available at many Porsche wreckers
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6