Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replace driver's side manual antenna without removing door?

Replace driver's side manual antenna without removing door?

After some patient years of searching, I finally found my first Porsche car — a very original 1973.5 T Targa with a nice story and complete history. I am having a blast driving it and am ready to take on some small projects to make the car even better.

One issue is the car's manual telescoping antenna mast, which will not retract all the way. See here:
    Name:  IMG_2117.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  74.6 KB

Except for those two stuck links, it does go all the way up, so I have reasonable reception. I just can't retract it all the way to get a snug car cover on. I've tried WD-40, just tri-flow lube, and I've also tried tapping it with a mallet. It ain't goin' down. I've purchased a replacement Hirschmann antenna , but am having trouble getting the original one out. My wife has smaller hands and got closer, but we were both worried about scratching the paint with those sharp edges, so stopped.

Anyone have a good procedure for antenna installation without removing the door? I don't have the right tools (or courage) for door removal at this point. Threads I've read at PP indicate it's a sucky job. Wayne Dempsey's 101 projects books leaves door removal "beyond the scope of this book". Or maybe I'm just being a pansy? Name:  pansy-7921.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  13.3 KB
    Brad

'73.5 911T Targa (Kaptain Karmel)
    Early S Registry #2585

This is a frustrating one because it seems almost possible to do it without door removal, but I'm not sure it is. Removing the fender is another option; it requires at least much as much courage but no special tools...
    Jeff Jensen

Brad, I think you need to take the door off.

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

I had to remove the door on my 68 to replace the antenna. There really isn't an easier solution.

Brad,
    What color is your car? Looks darker than Sepia.
    Bob B

It is indeed Sepia. In a dim garage with fluorescent lighting. My kids call it caramel. My wife calls it A&W Root Beer.
    Brad

Early S Registry #2585

Removing the hinge pins is the way to go. Do not unbolt the hinges or you will have to realign the door which is difficult.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

I'd very much like to avoid realigning the door, messing with gaps, etc. For hinge pin removal, do you need the awesome tool pictured in this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by M_deJong View Post
    Removing the hinge pins is the way to go. Do not unbolt the hinges or you will have to realign the door which is difficult.
    Brad

Early S Registry #2585

Quote Originally Posted by bford View Post
    I'd very much like to avoid realigning the door, messing with gaps, etc. For hinge pin removal, do you need the awesome tool pictured in this thread?
    That's the tool I bought. Makes door removal a breeze.

Banned
    On Sepia Brown cars door removal isn't necessary.

Scratching the door with the antenna is a good first step to stripping the paint.