Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop Taking Photos!

Stop Taking Photos!

Interesting study and parallel to my own experiences: You Don't Need to Take Photos of Everything - Taking Photos May Impede Memory . While I think the study is aimed more at those who document every waking moment of their lives on FacebookTwitterWhatevergram, their example of the museum is pretty much what I've experienced with car events.

About 3-4 years ago, I began taking fewer and fewer photos at car events, sometimes - horror or horrors - not even bringing a camera At some point, I realized that I was missing out on the actual event by focusing in (no pun intended ) on taking pics. It's somewhat amazing to just stand there and take in the race or rally or car gathering and all that surrounds it and not be bothered with having to think about the next good photo op. Of course every event (and every non-event!) is documented for posterity on the interwebs with more pics then you can stand to look at anyway. So no need to take your own anymore!

You make a good point, Curt. Susan Sontag made the same one in her book of essays "On Photography" in 1977.

I do think pursuing photography can lead you to explore areas of the world (and yourself) that you might not experience otherwise. But spending too much time with a camera pressed to your face or "chimping" a DSLR review monitor does seriously get in the way.

The good thing about photographing for many years is that you tend to shoot less over time - just by the simple reason that you are editing much earlier in the process.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Sometimes it's more important to be present.

And this is not meant as a slight to anyone, just a new perspective. I'm an amateur camera/photo junkie, always have been. That's probably why it was such a revelation to me to just set the camera down and enjoy the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    . . . not meant as a slight . . . just a new perspective. I'm an amateur camera/photo junkie . . . That's probably why it was such a revelation to me to just set the camera down and enjoy the moment . . .
    Hmm

I get into this discussion, all the time --- with Zovig, my Mom + Sister, The Ungrateful Offspring . . . everyone

If you don't take a picture . . . it's like it never happened

Yes-yes --- my memory may be crystal-clear, even --- wait for it . . . photographic

But, unless I'm remarkably/tirelessly artistic --- either physically or verbally . . .

. . . I might never be able to share what I alone remember

And, let's face it . . .
    . . . memory fades . . .
    . . . memory lies . . .

. . . memory dies

I have literally cases of old photographs --- yawning/heavy boxes full . . . going back decades . . . carefully stashed-away

. . . family outings, birthdays, museums, car shows --- my Grandparents . . . unbelievable what's there

And unless I have a sh!t-load of time to spend/waste/lose . . . I avoid those boxes --- because . . .

. . . they're haunted

. . . haunted by the places . . .
    . . . and the faces . . .
    . . . and the Stories . . .

. . . and all that time . . .

. . . that I would've forgotten -- and lost . . .

. . . if The Boy who took those pictures, Back Then --- didn't leave them for The Old Man who'll see/pore-over them So-Much-Later

Thank (your Deity here) for digital

We Can Be Heroes

Finally a thread I can agree with, 100%....while I enjoy taking photos and videos, I prefer to be 'in the moment'
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

I am a snapshot junkie. There i said it. But i agree completely that it is good to have gadget powered-down time.

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Drives me nuts when I see people taking pictures and videos at concerts!
    Seth O.

ESR #2474
    1966 911 - '77 2.7L Hot Rod
    1967 Pontiac Bonneville - '70 455
    2000 996

WANTED: 1966 Transaxle 229835-902/1

Thumbs up

It's true for me....
    I take FAR less pics then I use to..........

Man, if I only took photos of this stuff back in the day starting in about '62.....
    I wasn't alone, I hardly remember anyone who did.... except the smart ones.......

Most of the time back then it was the wives, girlfriends, and the pros.......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I like photos. I like them for reference. Especially with my friends or some special event. And I DO think a nice camera that is easy to operate is a big plus-digital. Also you can share them with your friends. I try not to be consumed. Sometimes I just point the camera in the direction and press the button. Now things like remote controlled GoPro cameras you can set with your smart phone..... How can we not?
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059