Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the Story on Stock Steering Wheels?

What's the Story on Stock Steering Wheels?

I was trying to figure out what was going on with some steering wheels I have and found out that 2 of them are not the highly desirable 914 "10" wheels. Then I tried to figure out my 901 steering wheel (which is in pretty good shape). I plugged those terms into the search engine and got 20 pages of threads, which lulled me to sleep after less than an hour.

When I woke up, I thought - why isn't there a summary guide to stock steering wheels? It must be on here. But, I can't find it.

Can anyone help? Or maybe make this thread into a sort of summary?

"What's the Story on Stock Steering Wheels?"

They're not optional.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    Seems like lots of data out there, maybe check Johnson book.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Which story do you want? 901, R, 380 RS, 914-6, stock. Then you get to horn buttons, they have stories as well.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

One question is that I am trying to figure out why the 380 mm wheels are so sought after compared to the 400 mm wheels. Do they feel better when driving (yes, i realize the feel is subjective but would like comments before I buy numerous wheels to try out)? or is just because they were used on early racers, like the 911R, S/T 9or is that S-T?) and RS, RSR?

Then I am wondering whether I can take some parts off of some of the beat up wheels I do have and swap them around to make up one wheel that is closer to a 'good' wheel than what I have now. I see there are screws on the back, maybe they are for the hubs?

I see posts about extended hubs vs. regular ones - and I wonder if I want an extended hub?

Finally, is the question of whether i should just buy a reproduction of the most desirable wheel (the 380 mm 911R type one) and forget about trying to cobble something up myself.

I've been through a few wheels and to me there is a huge difference in feel comparing 420mm, 400, 380 and 350.
    For me, 380mm is the sweet spot and it seems a lot of folks agree.
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

Since we (Zuffenhaus) produce a 901, 380 RS, R, ST reproduction wheels, a hockey puck horn button, R horn button, extension for the 380 RS, and normal and extended adapters for the R and ST wheels I understand each person has their preference. I will only offer some general input, taller people tend to like the extended hubs, also bigger folks seem to favor the smaller dia wheels for leg room. None of the cars have heavy enough steering to be limited by the smaller dia wheels. Grip dia is also related to hand size as to what is most comfortable. The best advice I can give is to try as many wheels as you can in people you know cars to get a sense of what you find suits you. It all about what you find comfortable. One other factor many consider is gauge visibility with differing dia.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Bob, I recently bought one of your 380mm RS wheels and its the keeper of the bunch for me. Feels great, looks great- I love it.
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

I saw a performance steering wheel installed on a US 2011 135i (on a dealer showroom floor) with a bunch of other performance parts, so it's at least possible on that model. Not sure about the 1M. That said, I personally didn't like the performance steering wheel.

Thanks, that is very helpful. Is there any source to determine grip diameter for different wheels?

Also, can you change hubs on all the wheels? i.e. can I try a wheel with a regular hub, then just swap an extended hub in later if I think I'll like it better? Or do I have to change to an entirely different wheel?

37yrold911 - the stock steering wheel is riveted together so changing the hub involves drilling out the rivets.