Thread: engine electronics-- 2.2 into a '66 SWB what do I have? What are my options?

engine electronics-- 2.2 into a '66 SWB what do I have? What are my options?

Another in a series of newbie questions. I'm in the process of putting a 1970 2.2 in a '66 conversion (conversion done long ago, not by me). My first go at this. Question is this -- the 1970 engine I have has a different engine wiring harness, I think, than the engine that came out (I do not have that engine). In reading the forum, it looks like my car is set up for non-cdi system, while the engine I bought was set up to use a cdi. I have the box and harness that came with the engine (see pics below).

Would appreciate any thoughts/advice on my options here. Do I need to use the box that came with the 2.2, or can I modify somehow to make it work with the existing system in the car? Or is there a third, or fourth, option I should consider.

Originality, obviously, is not an issue. Engine is not high performance, just a 1970 T. Just looking to make it a nice driver. Would prefer to not spend a fortune, but want to to do it right.

Thanks for your help. Couldn't do it without this resource. Joe
    Name:  cdi 1.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  87.4 KBName:  cdi2.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  77.6 KBName:  cdi3.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  106.1 KB

Its good you have the wiring console for the 2.2, that will make the job pretty easy. Here's what I would do:

First get the wiring diagrams for the 1970 and 1966 cars. You will need them.

The engine harness (in your hand on the right) plugs into the 14 pin connector at the rear of the console. It carries wires for the starter (yellow), oil temperature/oil pressure gauges, backup lights (2 wires), alternator (3 wires) and tachometer. There may be more I think these are all you care about. The console carries the CDI and the voltage regulator. You don't need any of the relays mounted to it, unless you have a heated rear window. The CDI harness (in your hand on the left) plugs into the 3-pin CDI.

I would make a harness that adapts the car's wiring to plug into the 14 pin plug at the front of the console. This is how the '70 was configured. In that harness you will need connections to the car for the gauge wires, the backup lights, the tach, starter, blue wire to alternator, and a +12V source for the CDI. If you can find the female 1/2 of the front 14 pin, this could be made to look nice.

Fun project, good luck!
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Thank you, sir. That's very helpful. I'm off to look for wiring diagrams. Your method has me adapting the '66 car wiring to plug into the 1970 console. Is it also possible to do the opposite -- adapt the 1970 engine wiring to fit the '66 electronics currently in the car? Or would that be a ton more work?

You could. One option would be to unravel the engine harness and connect the applicable wires to the car's harness, but that might not be pretty. A better choice would be to dissassemble the '70 console and remove the male plug from the rear of the console along with its wiring. Its easy to open the plug and remove excess contacts/wires you don't need. Then splice only the wires you need to the car's harness. Then you would still have the plug connection to the engine harness for easy removal.

You need to make sure you use the CD coil which is hopefully still mounted on the fan, and the correct voltage regulator. I don't know much about 1966 wiring so I can't offer too much more.

Mike
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Thanks again, Mike. Does anyone have thoughts on the best place to score good, easy to follow, 1966 and 1970 wiring diagrams? See them on ebay, but wonder if one is better than another. Also, if anyone has the female 1/2 of the front 14 pin, I'm in the market.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Im sure we can help you,have a look at www.kroonwireharnesses.com.

Gerard.

I would be inclined to leave the wiring in the car intact . You will have to make a harness for the alternator or maybe buy one from YNZ . You would also be adapting the CD harness which is a separate piece anyway .