Thread: fitting of trunk carpet around washer bottle in 73 with A/C

fitting of trunk carpet around washer bottle in 73 with A/C

I just finished getting the windshield washer system installed and working on my 73 911T. It's got A/C, so the windshield washer bottle is back near the cowl. Now I need to know how the trunk mat is cut and fit. Photos would help, and if some kind soul is willing to take a few measurements that would be great. From what I recall seeing, there is a slit in the floor mat just to the passenger side of the bottle, and a hole for the neck. Ideally, I need measurements for the start location and length of the slit and location and size of the neck hole. Also, does the side piece just get stuffed under the bottle, or does it sit on top?

Thanks

[Note: Sorry about the upside down image, tried to fix but not successful]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 12-19-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    --Richard
    Early 911S Registry #2337

You must be down under!

If no gets to it today I can measure mine tonight.

Jeff
    Jeff Jensen

Thanks Jeff. One way or the other I need to carve up the mat. I'd much rather have some measurements than not, no matter how careful I am.

Chuck, thanks for flipping the photo. I tried uploading an upside down version but no go. Is this something we can learn to do for ourselves?
    --Richard

Chuck, thanks for flipping the photo. I tried uploading an upside down version but no go. Is this something we can learn to do for ourselves?
    Man, I don't know Richard...

I just save your pic to another picture file I have on my desktop and flipped it in a standard photo edit program then re-posted the flipped pic back to your thread...........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Here is a photo, as well as a sketch with dimensions. I believe my carpet is original. It was in the car when I purchased it 30 years ago.

The slit is 13" long, and offset 1" to the right (looking from front to back) of the cutout for the driver's side support bar. The slit starts 2" below the cutout. Another 3.5" down the cutout for the water bottle neck begins. It is about 2.5" deep and the opening at the slit is 1". See the attached sketch and I hope this makes sense. Let me know if any questions.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection the top edge of the carpet only has one cutout. That's the one you reference from. I thought there was a corresponding cutout on the passenger side but there is not.

Name:  20131219_191045.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  108.4 KB
    Jeff Jensen

Morning Richard. Great info on this thead! I have a 72 with the same factory a/c setup. Thanks for providing the measurements and pic Jeff

I've been looking for a washer bottle strap for this, but no luck yet. Is that a repop or is it an original one?

Thanks,

Greg
    Greg

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...you're right.” - Henry Ford

Thanks Jeff -- very helpful and now (finally!) done.
    --Richard

Greg, the strap is a repro. I found it on Stoddard as part SIC-611-025-21, labeled as "Battery Strap for 356C and early 911 / 912, larger metal loop on one end, 3.5mm thick." Hooking it onto the cardboard shield, while correct, didn't seem like a good idea, so I made an L-shaped bracket (see photo).

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  128.4 KB
    --Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Man, I don't know Richard...

I just save your pic to another picture file I have on my desktop and flipped it in a standard photo edit program then re-posted the flipped pic back to your thread...........
    I did some experimentation. Will PM some comments.
    --Richard

Hi Richard...thanks for the info (and the part number)! I'm replacing my blower motor cover for that same reason. They can only last so long with the strap attached I like your idea of the bracket as well. The one you made looks nice!
    Greg

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...you're right.” - Henry Ford