Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 964 euro carrera cup cars

Yep, it is. I am presuming this is the class that Porsche homologated the 964 RS for. (Large volume GT) Someone gave the Base car the nickname NGT? It makes sense. Maybe Bob knows the answer.
    Last edited by MarkH; 09-09-2014 at 06:40 AM.

So, what is the difference between an N-GT "base" car and an M003? Have you ever seen any documentation on that variation?

If we define a new dinosaur we should at least find some bones, shouldn't we?
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

Yes, I agree. Steve told me this week that he has 10 years worth of information on these cars. He said he would go through it after the holidays and let me know. Do you have anything you can share about yours?

Mark

This is what we are looking for only 20 years later! The method of classification the Factory used in 1973 is nearly the same as Bob Gagnon's article. That's why I think he is right. Also notice that the Factory does not use the names Homologation or RSH when describing the Base car, Lightweight when describing the M471,Touring the M472 or RSR the M491. These terms came from somewhere else. I am nearly certain that Olaf Lang was the first to use the term "Homologation Car" when describing the Base RS. My guess is the N-GT name came about in a similar way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Before wrong concepts are spread, I would like to prove that M001 is the base car, M002 the touring version and M003 the version with NGT race package. These are official designations and not nick names awarded by the public.

The source I can offer you is the technical service documentation published in 1992:

On the following page the three official versions are differentiated as regards to the transmission. The names "Basis" (i.e. "base"), "Touring" and "Sport/NGT" are used:

On the next page the different options for each variation are listed. Again the terms "Basis", "Touring" and "Race/M003" are used:

These official documents clearly prove that there is no such car as a base car from which all the other variants are derived. The base car is a variant in itself, namely the M001 car with carpets and leather bucket seats as opposed to the M002 Touring with full appointment and the M003 Race/NGT without carpets but with full welded cage and cloth bucket seats.
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

Thanks Anatol. That's great. Appreciate you taking the time to do this.

It will be nice to have this as a reference.

Mark

Mark, you are welcome!

Merry Christmas to all of you!
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

Thought I would post my Speedline story that I mentioned in an earlier post. I know this will be interesting to maybe two and a half people but it was helpful to me as I try to put a set together for my 92 Cup. The 8 x 18" fronts were also used on the 3.6 Turbo so they are somewhat available but the 9.5 x 18 rears were exclusive to the RS Cups. I have found one but still need another. Then I find out from Speedline guru Jim Dorociak that there are two versions. So now trying to find a rare matching wheel got twice as hard. Even though they are different they have the same part number.

Here is the early version. The spokes are noticeably lighter than the later version when viewed from the back. Jim said this version was prone to cracking. Photos 4,5 and 6 are the later version.
    Last edited by MarkH; 09-20-2016 at 07:16 AM.

Later version.

Another apparent contradiction........

Several references state that when the 964 Cup was used in the first Supercup in 1993 a second door beam was required. (like in the yellow car) So I'm watching the Monaco Supercup race and here's Walter Rohl sitting in his car.

Mark