Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Werks re-union

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    . . . I'll be there with the ST . . .
    Excellent! . . .

. . . and post some pictures, will ya?

Call it a 'preview'

We Can Be Heroes

I will try to be there, but with my camera ! jeee its hard for us to ship cars from here to spain and back with out getting hammered with a reentry tax, yes even for a month.
    I do hope to see many of you guys there, and your cars too !
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

I will be there .... wouldn't miss it!

Name:  911S John G Photo resized.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  104.3 KB
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Perfect timing to finally and once and for all finish Ruprecht and debut it properly to the public…………can't think of a better way to put to rest the viscious rumor that I don't even own an early 911.

Definitely looking forward to being there.

PS: for the life of me I don't know why this thread had to be moved from "Drives, Tours, Gatherings, Racing and Adventures " where it originally started and where it rightfully belongs and should be, to the "General Info" forum. I think Chuck should move it back and consolidate these two threads to keep it all in one place.

Happy New Year to all,

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 01-14-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Thumbs up

Threads are merged and in the right place now......... Sorry I was asleep at the trigger John.

And I'll be bringing this one........

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

so this can be the "year Meeting" ? I am sure nothing will be biger in US then this day!
    What do you think?
    911 S 1967 and ...

Quote Originally Posted by 67er911S View Post
    so this can be the "year Meeting" ? I am sure nothing will be biger in US then this day!
    What do you think?
    Lieber Heinz,
    Ich glaube nicht das diese Werks Reunion eine grosse Welterschütterung sein wird……..eher ein typisches amerikanisches Treffen, aber doch ist es ganz sicher das es in jeden fall ein sehr erfreuliches Ereignis sein wird.

I sincerely hope you are not setting yourself up for big disappointment and a let-down by overstating this event, setting unreasonable expectations for yourself and making something bigger out of it than it most likely will be.

First & foremost, it's a long way to go and if previous experience is any guide, things will probably change between now and Aug. 15.

I don't believe declaring this to be the "Year's Event" serves any constructive purpose, nor will it add or diminish from the event or motivate the organizers to alter their original target and scope for the event if we insist on putting labels on it. Bear in mind that the hyperbole of the press release after all was created by marketing types to create exactly the kind of response you display.

It is my belief that the staging of this event at that location at that particular time has a lot to do with these connected events and factors:

1. The Porsche Club of America holds its annual Parade in June at Laguna Seca, where a lot of various Porsches from all over the US will assemble…….I suspect some will remain to appear as entrants / displays in the Werks Reunion, especially Porsche Museum cars, which usually participate. Also, California is home to more Porsches than anyplace else on earth, especially cars of interest……..what I mean is, we have the cars and I'm quite sure a lot of their owners will take advantage of the opportunity to display them without all the cheer-leader exhortations now to do so. If they do not wish to display or feature their cars, demanding answers, commitments and photos at this time is probably a counter-productive approach.

2. I am not sure how financially healthy the "Legends of the Autobahn" Concours is / was, and if it could have carried on in its present free format much longer, relying on manufacturers to bring samples of current wares and the few clubs and vendors to support it and provide some interest, and I suspect that Porsche, in concert with the Porsche Club of America and some urging by very influential local, heavy-hitting Porsche supporters saw this as an economical ploy to represent the marque at Monterey Speed week and draw crowds from Concorso Italiano crowds on the same day and at the same time just down the road a couple of kilometers.

3. Don't forget that in 2015 Rennsport V is scheduled to take place at Laguna Seca, and that will be the "Year's Event", certainly for Porsche people, but I think PCNA probably feels they need to do something for the US Porsche community in '2014, since many initially expected to enjoy Rennsport in 2014, hence the heavy Club participation as opposed to direct, out-of-pocket sponsorship by PCNA.

4. Also, remember that in '14 their new LMP1 LeMans is entered in the 24 hours of LeMans. If it should happen to win, it would not surprise me to see Webber at the Werks reunion.

5. Witness, if you will, that R Gruppe, the 356 Registry, the 914 crowd and other Porsche clubs are all invited and will probably participate to some degree or other. I'm absolutely positive that the promised 500 cars for the show will be met and exceeded, no problem there.

If you still insist on instant and definitive answers and a full, detailed prognosis of exactly what will happen and what to expect, may I suggest you follow Rick's advise in Post #4 above and contact Tom Provasi, Event Chairman at werksreunion@pca.org since he will be in a far better position to give you the details and answers you're looking for. If not, why not just relax, check the Early 911S Registry periodically for information as we get it, and make up your mind to enjoy the Werks Reunion on August 15…….. however it plays out.

Mit Herzlichen Grüssen,

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 01-02-2014 at 07:54 AM.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    ...Monterey Speed week and draw crowds from Concorso Italiano crowds on the same day and at the same time just down the road a couple of kilometers.
    Concorso Italiano has been moved to Saturday (the next day from the "Werks Reunion" and the same day as the main Motorsport Reunion/formerly Historics festivities) and from the former "just down the road" location back up to Black Horse Golf Club on Fort Ord (which should have better access thanks to road improvements subsequent to the traffic fiascos of 2002-2007). The only other car show on Friday is The Quail, which is just down the road and should have Carmel Valley Road in its customary gridlock for cars approaching from Highway 1.

Speaking of gridlock, I must say that Pebble Beach Week is hardly "Speed Week". Given some of the old crocks on road and track, "speed" is the last thing that is happening...

Personally, I'm looking forward to Rennsport Reunion V in 2015.

David,

you're right…….my mind must have wandered, I meant to say Monterey Car Week, and I completely forgot about the changes at Concorso, since it no longer holds the slightest interest for me. Sorry……..getting old's a bitch.

JZG
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 12-31-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    ……..getting old's a bitch.
    John, when it comes to aging gracefully, you are a Macallan 25 Year, a Remy Martin XO, a Bollinger Grand Annee 1990. The years only add character!

Happy New Year!

-- David

P.S. I'll probably be at the track on August 15. Rancho Canada is a featureless grass parking lot. However, if Mark Webber brings home the laurels at Le Mans and is there with a winning LMP car, I might be convinced to don my wide-brimmed hat and breathe the aroma of those Ortho-soaked fairways instead of un-burned high-test from the long black side pipe of a Maser 250F...