Thread: Hard fuel lines in a '69E

Hard fuel lines in a '69E

Hi all-

I'd appreciate the experts thoughts on replacing the hard fuel lines, both tunnel and engine bay lines in a '69E.

Stoddard's has the tunnel lines, both to and return, however, I can't find the two engine bay lines. I can buy stainless line for the tunnel and put the short bend in it for a fraction of what Stoddard wants but the engine bay lines have a lot of curves that will be challenging with stainless.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw
    1969 911E ROW Coupe ‘Orangina’
    1968 911 SWT Burgundy Red project

I'd advise you to make sure the tunnel S. S. lines you're planning on are in metric dimensions other wise you may have trouble getting the metric rubber lines on them. As to the engine bay lines with the curves, which lines are you planning on replacing? All the feed lines in the engine bay are rubber hose, only the lines from the MFI pump to the injectors are bent. If you're planning on bending those your self I wish you luck!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hi Ed-

Thanks for the reply. The two lines (now 3...) run on the drivers side from the tunnel hard lines. One is routed through a hole in the longitudinal, the other held to the side of the longitudinal with metal bend straps. A short piece of flex tubing connected these two hard lines to the tunnel hard lines. Perhaps this is not a stock set up but it looks fairly original based on the conditions of the lines.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  93.8 KB

As far as the hard line size, it all measures out at 8mm. The S.S. line I've seen is 5/16" = 7.94mm. This should be close enough for 8mm ID flex line right? There is a really good thread on the Bird on fuel line but it's mostly around later cars which seem to have 9mm and 7mm ID lines.

Thanks again for the help!
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw

Okay, now I understand, I know which lines you mean, I just didn't consider them 'engine bay' The 5/16th" will work, I was thinking of the 70 and up (I believe) where the feed line from the tank is 9mm. Are your lines rusted? I've never had to replace those.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ron - does your '69E have a VIN decal in the door jam? I have a 69E as well and considering am having a replacement made but read somewhere that VIN decals didn't exist till 1970. Thanks

Hi Ein-

No, my car did not have the VIN sticker on the door jam. Although I can't be sure it didn't have one originally, as a PO stripped most removable trim off the car and painted it black with a rattle can... From what I've read here, early '69's at least did not have the decal. Mine is the 40th E built so I'm assuming it did not.
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw

Ron, you may need to check hose sizes again, the hose sizes are determined by what they need to go besides the metal lines, ie. the fuel pump. Check that your size line will clamp tightly on the fuel pump nipples which are made for 7mm I.D. hose.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.