Thread: Now that I've got the '67 S - what do i do?

Now that I've got the '67 S - what do i do?

I have acquired a somewhat rough but complete '67S that is a great candidate for restoration.
    I have an early 911 street car so I don't intend to drive it much.
    I have no need to sell the car after restoration but I want to preserve the maximum future value the car can achieve.
    And I don't want to get involved with the Concours circuit and compete with a beautiful car like Tim Harris just completed.

I am willing to spend the money on a proper full restoration, which I have no experience doing.

I would love to get some general opinions on how to go about this and to what "level" to bring this car back to.

The COA shows a very desirable exterior color with a black leatherette interior and the only option listed is the gas heater.
    I would like to switch to a red or possibly green leather interior but would that be sacrilege on a car of this collectibility?
    Can I add sport seats, sunroof and some other options that aren't listed without negatively affecting the value?

These are the type of decisions I would like to get some insight on.

Thanks in advance for any advise you can offer,
    LFB

Hello,

1) If you want to speak on the phone I can hopefully help answer many of your questions. PM me.

2) Post pictures...lots. Also the vin.

3) You can add period correct stuff with no hit to value. (I added sport seats)

4) No to adding a sunroof.

I am sure others will chime in.

Happy New Year!

Tim Harris

Hey LeftFootBraker -

Is this The Montana Woodshed Car? I found that to be a very strange auction due to the inability to communicate with the seller. Even had a friend lined up in Bozeman to go look at the car, but we couldn't figure out where it was. Guess you actually got a car then! Congradulations. I would like a nice restoration project and was second in line for this car. There is a tone of info here about restoration. Like :
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...for-an-Early-S which has offered me great entertainment even this morning ( I have kids home ).

I will be very interested to know what you actually got up there in the snow...

cheers -

and that was some snappy bidding in the last 3 seconds!

I would start by asking myself why I wanted/bought the car. That should suggest what direction you pursue.

Then I would determine what type finish/perfection you desire. Think about your reactions. Do little blemishes bother you? Do you need to take any project to the extreme? (Because a regular restoration and a top restoration are very different in scope and cost and have serious diminishing marginal benefits). Do you second guess yourself after the project is done? (Any project not just cars).

I find that I forgot about the extra costs relatively quickly but the forgone quality I always remember so I try to do it right the first time. But at some point the incremental differences not be worth it given my use.

It took me many cars and restorations before I figured out my preferences and that still varies by type of car I am restoring.

Just have fun with it. Looking forward to the resto thread...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100