Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motor Mounts

Motor Mounts

I am looking for some slightly stiffer motor mounts. The p/n for the "cab" mounts is 911-375-043-07. My problem is that prices range from $21 each to over $102.

I see various brands too -- Rein, Hamburg Technic, and "German." The $102 are at Stoddard and lay claim to Porsche Classic Parts.

Is there ANY functional difference among this widely priced array of parts?? They all look stock to me, but I am not going to use a concours magnifier. I just care about function.

What year/model are you inquiring about? Also, have you considered replacing the transmission mounts at the same time? I am looking into the same for my '73.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

It has a 915 trans.

Yes, I hear you should put the stiffer mounts up front at the transmission.

I would strongly recommend WEVO "black" motor mounts at all 4 corners.

Designed for sporty road use, yet suitable for light occasional track use.

Approx. US. $80.00 per unit.

Long life, excellent performance, easy to install, no perceptible difference in noise / vibration, improves shifting.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    I would strongly recommend WEVO "black" motor mounts at all 4 corners.

Designed for sporty road use, yet suitable for light occasional track use.

Approx. US. $80.00 per unit.

Long life, excellent performance, easy to install, no perceptible difference in noise / vibration, improves shifting.

JZG
    John, what if your a concours Wennie and care about maintaining a stock appearance? Thanks, Mark
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    what if your a concours Wennie and care about maintaining a stock appearance? Thanks, Mark
    A 2-part answer, Mark, and a disclaimer that my answer is based solely on my personal experience with my car and its particular set-up ( '70 911T with 3.0 liter, Webers, SSIs and 915 with Rennshift ) with which I am extremely satisfied. I'm sure any number of pros among our membership could offer far more experiences based on their many installations and combinations of parts and performance.

A. The OP indicated he wouldn't be using a 'Concours magnifier' and was primarily concerned with function...…a view which I feel favors the WEVO mounts by virtue of their vibration & noise control and effective reduction of engine/transmission movement.

B. If it's gotta be and look absolutely original however, I don't think you really have many options……….. you concentrate on what looks original & replace your worn mounts with original, identical Porsche OEM units.

The only option I can think of which would look completely original while offering a slight increase in performance are Porsche Sports mounts for 911s, which look exactly like the original items, are available from the factory, and stiffen things up somewhat. I initially installed these and put about 3,500 miles on that set-up - but I still replaced them with the WEVO "black" mounts after I rode in a WEVO-mount equipped '73 hot-rod with a 3.0 liter aluminum case engine / transmission, exactly like mine, because I was impressed with the improvement in vibration and shifting.

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

I have used the Hamburg Technic Cabriolet Mounts from Deutsche Parts for about 6 years and have been please with them in terms of both stiffness and NVH.

The price is not too bad and so far we have not had to replace any of the mounts we have fitted (over 50 pairs now).

I have never replaced motor mounts before. Are they hard to do? Any tricks needed?

Just curious. The mounts on my 66 look very old, prob original. How important are mounts to the the overall performance and operation?

If these are easy to replace, is the performance increase from a mount like the Hamburg Technic that Chris mentions vs those WEVO black that John mention worth the effort/money to go with one vs the other and swap out later for an original look?
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

There are several good reasons for stiffer drivetrain mounts. IMHO, a main reason for having stiffer motor/trans mounts is to keep the drive train in the same spot all the time, even when the car is under intense lateral load, or when the drivetrain itself would otherwise be moving violently, like under hard braking while on a bumpy surface, or when downshifting while cresting a sharp hill. Keeping the drivetrain in-place makes for a more positive and direct connection through the shift rod and shift linkage to the transaxle. This makes it easier for your hand to always "know" where the gears are.
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

Swapping out the motor and trans carrier mounts is a simple job. I highly reccommend it as you feel pretty sattisfied after a small amount of work.
    I replaced my worn stock units with Porsche "Sport" mounts a while back. I also flipped over the big cup washers on the motor mounts as someone once told me that this stiffens up the mount a little. I've been really happy with the setup.
    During one of those down times where the mind wanders and you start thinking of unnessicary work that you want to do on the car, I got it in my mind that I needed to swap in some WEVO mounts. After chatting with Hayden (Herr WEVO) for some time, he advised that I wasn't going to see much of an improvement over fresh "sport" stock mounts. $$$ saved
    I did install the WEVO shift coupler, which transformed my shift linkage and since it's hidden from view, the originality obsessed aren't bothered by it.

The WEVO mounts look awesome and I've never heard any complaints about them. I'd use these if I were building a hot rod.
    Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306