Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of a given car

History of a given car

Does anyone know how I can find out about the sales and/or ownership history of my 1970 911? I am trying to go back to 1970 forward.

Thanks,

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Quote Originally Posted by denson View Post
    Does anyone know how I can find out about the sales and/or ownership history of my 1970 911? I am trying to go back to 1970 forward.

Thanks,

John
    John,

A friend just went through this exercise on his car and is submitting an article to ESSES that walks through his approach.

I will PM you his contact info.

-Bryce
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Thanks Bryce.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

I just asked Erik essentially the same question. Searching here will help, but its a great question, likely with a sort of long answer He recommended first attempting to contact previous owners, which may be challenging for several reasons.

I think the holy grail question is "where was my car sold when new?" And then its nice to know how many owners and who they were, where the car has been. Knowing mileage. The difficulty in sleuthing this info is part of what makes a perfectly documented car so beautiful. Provenance man!! I just let this acid test go unchecked in buying a car whose history is very vague. Will have to make up for that with workmanship

... and some detective work.

...and patience...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I too, am trying to figure out the provenance of my 72, especially what happened to the original engine. Who were the owners, which dealer, etc. I'm looking forward to the article; hopefully, it will be published in the next issue.
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD
    Lil' Blue: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon SOLD

If it was originally a swiss delivered car, you can know its history while it was in the country.
    All previous owner's adress, dealers, importers, original importer specification file of your car.
    (I think this is unique in the world.)
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    If it was originally a swiss delivered car, you can know its history while it was in the country.
    All previous owner's adress, dealers, importers, original importer specification file of your car.
    (I think this is unique in the world.)
    How do you find this out? I have a Swiss delivered 67S.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    How do you find this out? I have a Swiss delivered 67S.
    Do a search. There are a couple good threads. FYI... this option may have closed. For more than a year I have been trying to obtain information on my Swiss-delivered car by contacting the sources listed in those threads and have received no response.

For ex/swiss cars:
    Check if your car has still the AMAG importer number.
    Its either:
    -a riveted metal plate in the rear engine compartment witha a 4-digit number (until 1970)
    -a small orange color decal in the front luggage compartement, usually on the left shock tower (by 1971)
    With this code, AMAG can give all infos.
    If you dont have the code, AMAG needs chassis, engine no. and MY. Bt then its not guaranteed. Their service is usually free. You receive the AMAG importer card, the so called "Wagenkarte". You need to email them but better is to call.

This is how a AMAG decal looks on a 1971 car:

This is how an AMAG Wagenkarte looks. Either in red or white paper (copy).

Second:
    The Swiss DMV called ASTRA will provide the cars history if you can proof todays ownership. This cost about $120.
    This is the list they provide including day of registration, import, export, all owners (period) adresses, dates.
    It can go on on several pages, this is only page 1.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-06-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    Registry member No.773