Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irritating things about early 911s

Irritating things about early 911s

The forum is by and large a love fest for our early cars, as it should be... I thought it might be interesting to see what actually annoys you about those cars, if anything (other than the valuation thread ;-) - if nobody posts I'll crawl back under my rock with a traitor sign painted on it.

I'll start:

- My 72's Oil light being shared with the handbrake... I'm used to mildly freaking out when a 911 throws a red light, Gen or Oil. Having that thing light up and flash each time the handbrake is ON is counterintuitive to say the least ;-)

- The headlight attachment / new headlight seals. Putting those on without them popping off due to thicker new seals is more annoying that doing a valve adjustment...Would it have killed them to design a 2 screws attachment - or a bigger lip ?

- Last one, probably most controversial: The dogleg shift pattern (on my 68 912, 72 is great). I have the H pattern seared into my brain. I can drive a dogleg and actually enjoy the difference, but the one day I NEED the correct gear NOW, it's gonna bite me because it's different from all my other rides and I have to think about it for a second each time...

Anyone?
    Last edited by Greg D.; 01-06-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

At my altitude I can get my MFI to run well all the time, not so for carbs. I live at 2000m and in the summer we can be in the high 20s in the morning and breaking 80 in the afternoon. With the change in the density altitude, thick heavy air in the am to very thin hot air in the pm, I can tune for perfection for am or pm but not both. It's a little annoying but I like fiddling so I do. I split the difference for injection quan and run it low anyway with the gas we have. My speedster with Zeniths runs great all the time though.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

how about the scary ass brakes .... or the 165 or 185 tires are just as scary as well .. no holy Sh*t bar for the passenger to hold on to ... i ALWAYS hear this !!!

The irritating thing for me is the amount of wind noise. However for me it could be badly fitting door seals, I've not been in another car. Oh and I agree about the brakes.

What's with the brakes ? Do you mean they lock up if stabbed ? I've found a gentle initial application followed by a heavy foot when the nose is finally loaded makes for great braking... Granted it's hard to do in a panic situation... I just ask because brakes are considered to be a strong point on 911s generally.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Unlatching the targa top, push it up an inch, get out the car to take it off...

... and then it's still stuck...
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

The most irritating thing?? That I don't have enough money to get another one!
    1996 993 black/tan

^^^^this^^^^
    Jake
    Early 911S Registry Member #2799
    1973 911S - "Tangerine Tornado" - Two Time SCCA Solo II National Champion (1976 and 1981)
    1967 Corvette Roadster (Black/Black/Black) 4-speed

Quote Originally Posted by oscillon View Post
    The most irritating thing?? That I don't have enough money to get another one!
    Get a 912 then ;-) 80% of the fun, 30% of the cost. Also going upwards fast... Just MHO.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    ~~~ the issues of rock chips on the nose that seem to point out the need for a bra, but no one likes putting them on, so we tend to go bra/ less, which is OK in some settings with the right gender..... errr I got a bit sidetracked here.

engage auto correct

okayyyyyy... the no bra on the hood deal, or the alternative now with the 3M vinyl..... but if you don't do something with the chips, it leads to unsightly rust, which leads to holes, which makes a guy a bit, as raj just noted : ocd

in this case, about metal that seems to become transparent the minute humidity rises above 2 %
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid