Hello!
I am a new member on this forum, who does not own a Porsche! I have been restoring several several Triumph cars(mainly TR3 and TR4s in past (and now a TR3A) and Harley Davidson motorcycles , as well as putting an awesome looking Jag XK120 (probably one of the only ones with manual gear box; hence pretty authentic looking - so much so, it was sold within 24 hours of putting on the local Kijiji!). On teh other hand, my daily driver have always been German (Started with original buy in 72, then various Beemers and MBs, and now still with MB).

It is quite funny how I became enthusiastic about old Porsche 911s. While I really enjoyed driving my nephew's 2011 Carranza Cabriolet in Toronto a couple of years ago, the car itself did not attract me (or grabbed me, most probably because I am not presently interested in acquiring a recent model car beside my beloved MB!. However, a couple of days ago, looking for an antique VISE (yes a bench vise), I encountered the following site:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...beauty-ii.html

. . . then, unfortunately watched the video at the end of the website (A 100% MUST SEE (I am sure it may be an old news for to you enthusiasts). Since then, despite my wide's disagreement, I am now certain I must get one of those black candies!

So, expert enthusiasts, I would appreciating your advice on the following issues (or direction to appropriate websites):

1. From what I have gathered one of the decent 911s to get is the one from late 80s (however, I much prefer the earlier years' simpler body style.)
2. How reliable and DIY friendly are these Porsches (I am reasonably handy in changing clutches, fixing carbs, welding and bodywork and painting; I also rewired an entire car).
3. How much do you think to invest on the first 911?
4. Should I consider 911s on the Ebay?

I know some of these questions are quite general and require lengthy discussion; nonetheless, any feedback, no matter how general they are would be highly appreciated.

FYI, I am a university prof recently passed mid-50s, and live in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Cheers,
The Antique-Car-Crazy guy!