Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help ID break away mirror

help ID break away mirror

Porsche ... or something else ?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

It will fit a 1968 ym car

Would have to see a profile of the stem but, from the one pic looks like a 68 mirror stem that someone replaced the original mirror with a later mirror. That is not the correct grain for the 68 mirror (pebbled) and it looks slightly larger.

However..... It could be a Mercedes stem that someone cut off the rubber covering and painted silver...
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I have one as well but just couldn't figure out how these mirror were mounted (maybe mine is missing mounting parts?). Sometime in the past, I came across threads indicated that similar mirrors were also used on some R cars?
    Last edited by flatsixcrazy; 01-09-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    Andy (VA).

Andy, yours looks correct. What you are missing is the second half of the mount that screws to the roof. The spring loaded pegs on the mirror stem snaps into it and that is what keeps the mirror in place.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

There are no extra "mounting parts" for that 1968 mirror stem. It just presses into the slot by first putting one side of the stem into the hole above the windshield and then pressing against the other side of the stem until the spring compresses enough for the pin to slide up and into the hole, thereby completing the installation. However, I'd think that before you could mount the mirror shown above, you'd have to use some oil or lube grease, so that those pins could easily be pressed in toward the spring. If those pins won't move, you can't perform the installation. At least, that's how it works on a 1968 soft window Targa.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
    There are no extra "mounting parts" for that 1968 mirror stem. It just presses into the slot by first putting one side of the stem into the hole above the windshield and then pressing against the other side of the stem until the spring compresses enough for the pin to slide up and into the hole, thereby completing the installation. However, I'd think that before you could mount the mirror shown above, you'd have to use some oil or lube grease, so that those pins could easily be pressed in toward the spring. If those pins won't move, you can't perform the installation. At least, that's how it works on a 1968 soft window Targa.
    You are incorrect... What is in the "hole" is the other half of the break away mount that is screwed into the roof. Only the '68 has that additional mount piece screwed up in there. The mirror is not designed to snap into the "hole" If all you have is a hole then you are missing hardware.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thanks for the mounting info, I'm straight now :-). This was me with the mirror in hands.
    Andy (VA).

I might add that the same manufacturer of the 68 mirror used by Porsche also made similarly designed and mounted break away mirrors for early Mercedes and BMW 3 series. The break away mirrors for those marques also use a two piece mount. I have mirrors from all three Marques in my stash.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

My mistake. I replaced the mirror in my '68 about 25 years ago and it's been in place since then, so I guess I just forgot about the other half of the mount piece. Sorry for the bad info.