Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop in CA?

Shop in CA?

My 1968 originally came from CA and I have received from the PO there much of the original paperwork, including scanned copies of the details of the engine and gear box re-builds among many other things. The car was worked on at Scientific Automotive in Pasadena. http://www.scientificauto.com

I have written to the owner/manager there a few times regarding a couple of straight forward queries to clarify the work done, but I have never had a reply. My question to anyone local is - are these guys still open and active? And, by PM only, any views as to the nature/quality of their work?

Many thanks

Merv
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

The original owner of Scientific Automotive was Roger Bursch (as in "Bursch Exhaust"). Scientific Auto still exists, but Roger is long gone, along with all his records. The original shop was very small , two bays, a small workshop and a chassis Dyno in an adjoining building, manned by Bill Hanyon (sp). Another one of his mechanics was Hugo Melshauer, straight from the Fatherland, and a good friend of mine. The last time I was in the shop was late '75 for a new clutch in my '69 911S. So the question is what are the dates on the invoices, because the shop that exists today has nothing to do with the one that existed from 1956 to say mid eighties and was owned by Roger.
    This shop was HIGHLY regarded by the Porsche community, and did top notch work. If you are interested, the Google Earth coordinates for the original shop are 34 deg 08'59.65 N 118 deg 06'52.80 W. (This is not the location shown on their web site.)
    Bob B
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 01-13-2014 at 11:43 PM.

My 66' was previously serviced at Scientific also. The PO of my car told me to talk to Jack at Scientific if I had any questions about the car. I called Scientific and asked for Jack. Jack would not take my call and the person in the office said that it had been so long since my car had been in for service (car sat for 15 years) that I would have to bring the car by and they could check it out for me. So I am in the same position as you, I have a few service records but not much more. I am going to stop by there one day when time permits.
    Scott

I'd start by trying Jack at 626.795.7018...

From the web site...

Jack Diramarian
    Owner and Operator

Jack started his early career with Scientific Automotive in 1983. He began his training under the supervision of Roger Bursch, Originator of the world renowned Bursch exhaust systems . Well known for winning many races at Daytona and Sebring in the early 60’s in their PORSCHE Speedster and 911S.

Jack started out as an apprentice at the age of 18, working in his way up the ladder until he became owner of Scientific on his 24th birthday.

Worst he can say is "I don't know"...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thanks for these. Jack has not as yet replied to me emails. The work there was done in 2004 and has stood up well and is very comprehensive. I just wanted to check a couple of things on the work sheet to make sure of the specifics of the entry. I will try a call when I can get the time zones aligned from here in Australia! Maybe Jack is too busy with 'real' work and can't find time to answer such enquiries.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Also note that Scientific moved down the street and is no longer at their long time location. They are currectly across the street from the Sierra Madre Collection.
    http://www.scientificauto.com/#/contact-Us/

Jack is very busy and searching for old records is difficult, as everything is filed by the car's license number. If you have that on the paperwork, there may be some more records, but frankly, having the receipts, you probably have all the information there is to be gotten.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

True - But I did send a copy of the original worksheet from them as an attachment and car's (then) license number. I was asking a couple of questions - only about a reference to a 2.2 motor when it should have been 2.0L on the paper work.
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:

Hi Merv,

First of all I would like to apologize for my LATE response.
    In regards to your inquiry about your car. You had a question about the Pistons if they were 2.0L or 2.2L.
    Back in the 80's when we were overhauling engine we would automatically upgrade and machine the heads
    for the 2.2L barrels. Due to the failure of the old 2.0L head gasket this was the most popular and complete
    alternative.

Now, as for the work performed on your car Inv.#5088 dated 2/04/2004.
    We repaired this engine NOT rebuilt it. We replaced Cyl.#1 2.0L Piston with a good "used" Piston & Cylinder. Replaced all 6 piston Rings.
    Replaced all valve guides seals and timing chains with rails.

I Don't show any records for "ENGINE OVERHAUL 2.2 CARBURETOR WITH
    NEW PISTON & CYLINDERS OR VALVES AND GUIDES" as stated in your email to me on January 16th.

I hope this information is what you are looking for. Please give me a call 626-795-7018.

I am usually very busy during the day and have little time to reply to email.

Thanks Again
    Jack Diramarian
    Scientific Automotive

71 911 T
    74 Carrera
    76 Turbo Carrera
    85 911 Carrera
    01 996 Turbo

Many thanks for this Jack. It is much appreciated. I am in Australia and finding the right timing to call across time zones here to there, is difficult. I know that you must be busy and that emails are often a pain. My reference to ENGINE OVERHAUL 2.2 CARBURETOR WITH NEW PISTON & CYLINDERS OR VALVES AND GUIDES (33hrs) was taken from your worksheet (below), but this may have been a standard, overall entry then, not the actual work done on the car at the time. Thank you for the explanation about the head machining for the 2.2 barrels/head gaskets. The then owner also had other work done on the engine peripherals, oil cooler, fuel pump and a transmission re-build not long after. For information, the engine is performing faultlessly still, but I may get it re-built in the next year or so for the future. Thanks for the feedback Jack.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars: