Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all these 2.4 S now? Here are some stats.

Biancaneve,

I subscribed to your thread hoping it would take off. I have a similar project going for the MY 69 cars, with data on 500-600 cars so far, using an unscientific "when I get some time" web search and old periodicals perusal.

To me, the survival rate and period distribution of the cars is one of the more interesting aspects of the hobby. I started a thread on survival rate a few years ago.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Accounted-For

I think it would be very interesting if those of us who track the cars this way combined our efforts, or at least shared some data and techniques.

I know I have data on cars that no one else has (including davep ), so I stand ready to collaborate when it makes sense.

Good luck with your project
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Thanks to everybody for your contributions and interest shown! Davep and Beh911, synergies are welcome, you have PM
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Hi Nick, as a US car it has a driver / left side door stamp showing manufacture as 07/72. To register in UK I needed proof of manufacture date & so obtained paperwork from Porsche GB (not a COE but I think a Letter of Authenticity). It stated manufacture date as August 72. So I'm guessing it was built end of July & left the factory inventory in August. I hope useful info.
    Best. Anthony
    MY 73 2.4S

Anthony,
    Thanks for that information.
    Nick

Do you have any idea of the LHD, RHD numbers? Thanks.

Sadly, I'm sure many ended up like this '71 S Targa...

http://bringatrailer.com/2007/08/19/...for-the-brave/
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    This is absolutely anecdotal and personal observation. Other than US spec cars the most ROW cars I have seen advertised or written about from one country is Italy. This is just from being in the hobby for a long time. Oddly I have the sense of very few German S cars. Yet, if you look in the dealer booklet from the period Germany had the largest number of dealers with Italy second. Does not mean anything but it is what I have seen. Somehow a fair number of Italian cars made it to the States.
    Many left Italy. Few left Germany, probably few left Switzerland (but I know a few). France/Monaco kept them for themself. Belgium/Lux trade/import quite a lot and as the Netherlands, its a small country. Spain/Scandinavia might never had many cars and kept them. UK are the only RHD so they traded within UK. Austria might was similar as Germany and all ex Eastern Block countrys had next to nothing, until 89.

As often stated, 50% of early 911s production got sold to the US. Then German/Swiss/Austria market and RoW. (at least for LHD).
    Switzerland had the highest Porsche ownership/sale per citizen and I heard its today still the case, or close.

BTW I also read that in 1963 France was a very important market for Porsche and the 901 designation was not only changed because of Peugeot x0x trademark (Peugeot held its rights only for the French market and not for the whole world, so Porsche could have been going with 901) but because Porsche didnt want to upset its all-important French market.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-16-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    Many left Italy. Few left Germany, probably few left Switzerland (but I know a few). France/Monaco kept them for themself. Belgium/Lux trade/import quite a lot and as the Netherlands, its a small country. Spain/Scandinavia might never had many cars and kept them. UK are the only RHD so they traded within UK. Austria might was similar as Germany and all ex Eastern Block countrys had next to nothing, until 89.

As often stated, 50% of early 911s production got sold to the US. Then German/Swiss/Austria market and RoW. (at least for LHD).
    Switzerland had the highest Porsche ownership/sale per citizen and I heard its today still the case, or close.
    Can't agree more than 100%!

Instagram
    Twitter

Yes but we are concerned with 2.4 S here. Clearly 50% did not come to the US. See my post upthread on US 2.4 S import numbers. Those Italian cars I was speaking of were 2.4 S cars. Not the whole model line. Also it seems a few 2.7RS left Italy as well.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by gingy101 View Post
    Do you have any idea of the LHD, RHD numbers? Thanks.
    Had a quick check ... I'd say around 10% of my list but I was not always consistent in noting that.

Instagram
    Twitter