Thread: Rear hub removal

Rear hub removal

I'm replacing my wheel studs and replacing with longer ones for spacers and I'm having some difficulty removing the castellated nut to remove the hub. I've wedged an iron stake between the existing studs and the ground but cannot get it to move. Thanks

It's torqued to ~340# . An impact wrench and some Gibbs oil will do the trick
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

I've never had the hubs off before. After removing the nut does the hub just come off by itself or is there anything connected behind it to remove? I've already noticed a broken part on the ebrake.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  105.0 KB

The piece of metal that wedges to the lower circular piece was broken off.

The castle nut is what retains the axle to the hub.

To remove the hub, you will need to press it out of the trailing arm (requires removal of the trailing arm) OR you need a good sized (~10 lb.) slide hammer. Porsche sells a tool for this; here's a facsimile someone sells for a lot less:
    http://www.arnnworx.com/RearBearings.htm

Here's a link to more info (there is a lot more on Pelican):
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...placement.html

By removing the hubs, you will destroy your wheel bearings. The inner race typically rips out of the bearing, which then again necessitates the use of a press or slide hammer to remove the outer portion of the bearing.

Reinstallation of new wheel bearings should ONLY be done with a press (not a slide hammer). This will require removal of the trailing arm from the car so that you can set them up on a press.

In case you were not aware, this is one of the more annoying jobs to do in the repair of your Porsche. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Just to switch out the studs? Is there another way to exchange out the studs without removing the hub?

You can also remove the park brake cable and R & R studs through that hole without removing the hub.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed, whew! Thought I was gonna be selling spacers there for a minute. How are the studs removed? Punched out? I've read that you can re-install the studs with a socket as a spacer and torque in with a regular steel lug nut but the removal I'm not too sure how.

We just use a air hammer with a blunt tip installed, drives them right out.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.