Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Targa That Looks Like A Targa (again)

A Targa That Looks Like A Targa (again)

Porsche went back to their roots (looks wise) on the design of the new Targa.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...auto-show.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Porsche went back to their roots (looks wise) on the design of the new Targa.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...auto-show.html
    I don't know who went back to whose roots, and I don't want to appear too anal about attributing this latest marketing ploy to Porsche's styling department, because something about the image in your post and opening the attached link stimulated a few long dormant neurons in my so-called brain and reminded me that this story looked awfully familiar.

Lo and behold, after a little googling I found that issue 176 of Excellence magazine, September 2009, featured a story by Ian Kuah about the eRUF "Greenster", an all-electric, 2nd generation ( for RUF ) battery powered Irish green Targa, which, to my eyes at least, looks exactly like the blue one shown in Detroit. I think Curt Egerer was the only one at the time to take notice and post something about this.

Response to the current introduction of the PORSCHE 991 Targa appears to be about as tepid as it seems to have been about RUF's Irish Green, one-off, 3600 pound, Rube Goldberg folding top study of '09.

Seems to me that the only party likely to emerge financially intact in their attempt to revive the traditional Targa concept is Alois R., who obviously has managed to pawn off the hand-built design of his creation to Porsche, probably recouping some of his investment in pioneering a direction Zuffenhausen appearantly wasn't pursuing at the time………….. what with all the R & D money going to buy VW shares.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Buy it, borrow it or steal it? Sometimes easier to buy a design than to reinvent the wheel. I do recall the article. If Herr Ruf did pawn it off I'm sure he has secured "something" in return. He is a good businessman and runs a fine design/engineering firm. A tip of the hat to him.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I stand corrected. I don't think Ruf went quite this far with development. Holy mackerel!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/videos/money...01/13/4462327/

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I have a '71 in that color combo (medium blue, obviously the newer car is a bit more, well blue)...
    Early S Reg #1809

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    Lo and behold, after a little googling I found that issue 176 of Excellence magazine, September 2009, featured a story by Ian Kuah about the eRUF "Greenster", an all-electric, 2nd generation ( for RUF ) battery powered Irish green Targa, which, to my eyes at least, looks exactly like the blue one shown in Detroit. I think Curt Egerer was the only one at the time to take notice and post something about this.
    As if Ruf designed the 'modern' Targa? Common on...

Anybody with 2 'neurons' could have designed (visually) the 'new' targa on the 911 body style after they discontinued it with the 993...
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

Retro is so 5 minutes ago.

Richard Newton

I like the new Targa...I would rather have one of these than a cabriolet. I especially like the retro look with the brushed aluminum bar. It shows Porsche is proud of its 70s heritage, and only reinforces how our beloved long hood 911s have an influence in today's car designs.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    I like the new Targa...I would rather have one of these than a cabriolet. I especially like the retro look with the brushed aluminum bar. It shows Porsche is proud of its 70s heritage, and only reinforces how our beloved long hood 911s have an influence in today's car designs.
    Ditto! Car looks great!
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

This Targa is a great surprise...it looks great....they achieved a miracle...going retro was a huge risk and they combined it with technology....it worked...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQAnM...oh46YtgCshYbjV

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com