Thread: fan shroud restoration

fan shroud restoration

I have tried a search under the best technical articles, and while I find a 2007 post referencing a dye process that Chuck Miller offered, I am unable to open this older post....tried numerous times with the instructions provided re pulling up old posts..nothing. Can anyone help get me to that old post?

Thumbs up

Try this later thread mac:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Red-Fan-Shroud

Hope this helps,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Works very well too I might add. I used this method on the RS quite some time ago and it still looks very red.

Make sure you wear very good gloves or else......
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Chuck - this link worked perfectly and thank you. I would love to hear your thoughts on the best way to achieve the proper finish on the alternator housing and fan blades. My original pieces (73S) have a rather dark appearance - I assume from sitting idle for many years. I used a plastic media yesterday that removed any dirt and some white powdery (oxidation?) residue, but the units remain dark. I did not want to switch to a more aggressive media until I confirmed what the correct/original appearance should be. I've been collecting many photo examples of restored and unrestored cars, and the housing and fan appear closer to a silver vice a dark magnesium color. Your thoughts please. Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Try this later thread mac:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Red-Fan-Shroud

Hope this helps,
    cm

I would love to hear your thoughts on the best way to achieve the proper finish on the alternator housing and fan blades.

Hmmmmmm.... this is a tough one Mac,

I feel on this one there is a difference/departure between what is completely 'correct' (as it left the factory/ or soon after/ or years after)...... and, to me, what looks best.
    I have seen ultra low mileage, well kept/sheltered early 911s with fan housings and blades that looked like hell.
    I have seen the same as above that still had their factory sprayed oil/wax coating that looked like hell.
    However in today's 'ultra original' climate/aesthetics..... lots would disagree with my 'looks like hell' opinion....

It's true that the casting of these pieces were inconsistent and it's inevitable magnesium will tarnish/darken eventually.... So what to do?

For me the decision was easy... I had my pieces redone...

Mine were media blasted, shot peened, then tumbled..... techniques differ

The very best I've seen has been done by Mark Motshagen...
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...mark+motshagen

I'm sure many will chime in... but perhaps we should add it to one of the many 'Fan Housing/Blade Restoration' threads already on the board......
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...mark+motshagen
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Mac,
    I refinished a fan and housing that had been repainted yellow. Not sure if it's exactly the look you are after but if so, here's what I did. First I dissembled the fan and housing and bead blasted both of them. They turned about beautiful but were a little lighter and brighter than I thought they should look. So I ran the ran them through a parts washer where the water and soap was a little dirty from previous jobs. That gave me the slightly darker grey I was looking for. (I think you could skip this step.) Then I hit both with Gibs penetrating oil spray which darkened it slightly more (and protects too) and after letting it soak in for awhile I dried off the excess oil and reinstalled everything. Check pictures to see if it's the look you are after. Good luck, Rich
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thank you all to everyone who responded - some great ideas and methods to consider.

I have glass blasted several fans and housings and coated them with Gibbs penetrating "oil", keeps the fan and housing silver apperance and prevents oxidation for years, and prevents dirt sticking too:-) The factory used the same "wax" as they used on a lot of engine cases, yellow brownish stuff, you can still see the caoating on the fans of low milage cars. I think it was called Cosmoline or something similar.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

I just ordered some dye to restore a black shroud back to life... will let you know how it works out

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHM20M/..._26725410_item
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

member #1515
    Richards looks really close to how they were new except the waxoyl or whatever the factory used gave the fan a goldfish tint.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs