Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get the "yellow" back on an S Front Trombone oil cooler

How do I get the "yellow" back on an S Front Trombone oil cooler

Guys,
    Now that i have the front Trombone oil cooler removed, I notice that the "yellow" comes off very easily with Scotch Brite. So what is the "yellow" on the steel oil cooler and how do I reapply it after i clean up my oil cooler. Is this a rattle can event or do I need professional help?

Thanks

Caproader
    69 912
    73.t Targa
    73 2.7 T

I think you are removing the original cad plating with your "aggressive" scotch pad.
    Not many people still do cadium (banned in Europe and heavily regulated in the US), so yellow zinc plating is your next best choice.

You can always just paint it black at this point.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Doug, Thanks for the response and the help. I got confused/hopeful when I took some scotch brite to the lines between the trombone cooler and the oil tank and found those lines to be brass/bronze (Non ferrous in any case). By the time a took a magnet to the trombone cooler I had removed most of the remaining orig cad plating. However, after 50 years of road rash including 15 years as a track car, there was not a whole lot of cad plating remaining. I think that I will clean up the trombone cooler and coat it with high temp clear coat. I was hoping that someone might have 'close to original cad plate' suggestion in a rattle can. This is all part of my plan to return my 2.7 MFI track car back to original 1973 factory spec.
    Thanks again
    John

There is a way to get gold-yellow.
    If you polish up metal, to near chrome look.

Then you can clear coat, and then add a yellow anodize,
    You do a very light mist…don’t over do it.

Then you can add another clear on top of that.

If you buy the right clear, it may last longer than the plating.

Name:  IMG_5311.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  61.4 KB

If you mess up, just clean off with lacquer thinner and start over.

If you do it just right, you cannot tell it was paint, tho it doesn’t conduct electricity, in those cases when needed.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Scott A.

Thanks for the suggestion. Turns out O'Reilly's website says that Duplicolor MC202 is available at their store. Meantime, I am Semi Chromeing the snott out of the cooler.

Interesting side note: The 74 front Trombone oil cooler hanging on my garage wall is non ferrous. Which is probably why I got confused when I started scotch briting the 73 steel trombone.

JGM

All I've ever seen were brass. There is no plating. After repairing the dented lines on a Carrera 3.0 there was a fair amount of finish work with Scotch-Brite and Steel Wool. All the lines polished up like a ships (brass) bell.

28 Row Coolers were all brass as well. These were the "band aids" that Porsche issued until the Carrera and Carrera Cooler came along. Now hard to find in good fettle. They are quite robust and didn't use a rock guard. Very cool to find one (no pun intended)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

What year are we talking about here? OP doesn’t specify but signature mentions 73 911 albeit T?

This is the shape of the oil cooler pipe for model 73 used in all RS ans S in most countries but a paid for option on USA 911 including S, if memory serves me well?
    Name:  IMG_5447.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  60.7 KB

Looped cooling pipes began to get brass connectors early in April 73 because this had advantages when galvanising; comment I’ve read suggests it is to do with avoiding staining in the galvanising process that was used. Doesn’t mention the material of cooling pipe itself in that comment on the connectors nor in the maroon factory parts book. I’d have to check when with my December 72 model 73 car.

Cadmium is very nasty stuff I wouldn’t want to inhale dust etc if rubbing down with scotchbright to remove original surface treatment! Some very nasty effects if get over-exposure one of which is “testicular necrosis” … yikes!
    Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-12-2024 at 02:36 AM.

Here are photos of an original 1973 911RS 471 car. Engine line is steel. All else was brass except cooler nuts. Carrera's were painted black along the rockers to hide the body color and lines were definitely black at one time as the photo of the wheelhouse illustrates. Aesthetics unfortunately don't hold up to wear and cleaning. There is muted black paint on the outer rocker done in a pattern to hide the lines if they remained black.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Is it a “ heavy lightweight” ie later RS after homolgation was awarded early April 73 — seems to be the case as seems to have dimpled shutz on middle picture but hard to be sure as that’s quite a close cropped shot ?

It's not a homologation car. A friend once owned the homologation car (0508) that Gooding sold at Amelia Island this year for $1,985,000. That was in the wind years ago for under $200K . It received a full restoration which it was in dire need of.

OTOH this car (0969) could have been bought when a Touring car was $70-80K for what I recall was $125-$140K. It is 0969. Canepa acquired it and sold it.

The engine bay has no shutz - bare metal painted body color.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111