Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72-73 Anodized Engine Grill Restoration

72-73 Anodized Engine Grill Restoration

Does anyone have experience with disassembling a late aluminum grill and having it all re-anodized? I'm assuming a grill cannot be re-anodized as assembled, intact. Finding a beautifully patina-d original grill is very difficult and with so many having been painted over the years that I'm wondering how difficult it is to restore a painted original grill . I haven't seen the $900 newly reissued grill from Porsche (that I believe Marek supplies) which I assume is anodized like the original so perhaps that's a cost effective path if one doesn't mind newly minted items , but I'd prefer a 40 year old version (like the one I have!)

I'm also wondering if its a good idea to try and remove the paint and see what may be underneath. It could be that these grill were painted when patina wasn't the coolest thing on earth?! The worst case would be to repaint it if it looks like crap and I'd end up with a freshly painted grill..better than it look now at least.

If you've gone down this path before and have some experiences or ideas to share, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks boys.

Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

I would find a good patina'd one and spend the money on it.....last I saw was a nice one around $4-500. You can get one from a car from '72-75 I believe (maybe '72-74), so that leaves a decent number out there.

If you do want to take one apart, the slats come off with 'tabs' that will be slightly difficult to pop off. Be gentle.

They should be marked for the order in which they go back on (keep track of which is which).

Not sure of the best method to remove the paint and not hurt the aluminum; probably a chemical stripper. EDIT: probably not a scotchbrite as you could scratch the aluminum...I just read they have particles of very hard Aluminum Oxide embedded in them!

The aluminum parts were "hard" anodized (type III black anodize). That process is still widespread so you should be able to find someone that can do it.

The patina'd original will still look more purple/gray now; fresh out of the anodizing process it will be totally black.

Again, if you are interested in your sanity, you will value your time much more than the cost to purchase a very nice one

Best,
    Scott
    Last edited by YTNUKLR; 01-25-2014 at 05:57 PM.
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    25 years ago when I didn't know any better I anodized a complete grill. It is still perfect today. The wrapped end parts of the grill might rattle if the material denigrates in plating. The last one we did we took apart, took a lot of time. The original slats are numbered on the passenger side as you look back and down. We crimped the slats just a little where they go over the barbs upon disassembly so after plating the grip over the barbs would be restored. Gled

Call Jim or John at EASY tomorrow. They just received a whole deck lid minus the emblem and letters.
    Cheers,

Ron

1961 356 Roadster Outlaw
    1969 911E ROW Coupe ‘Orangina’
    1968 911 SWT Burgundy Red project

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like quite a chore; maybe I'll use the one I have and take it apart someday just for the experience. Sounds like a few patina-d grills are floating around.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

I'm facing this dilema too. As well as a silver grill that was painted ( now worn ) black 20 + yrs ago I have a plastic balck grill that I'm tempted to use on my 2.4 S . Good idea ?

I used a citrus stripper and no scotch brite. The paint came off with no damage to the anodizing. Several applications were needed. On another faded 72 grill I used Eastwoods simulated anodizing paint. This was about 20 yrs ago. I don't know if they still make it but it looked great to me at the time.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Like Scott referred to, the American black anodize while can be made to look similar when new, when it fades it turns brown not that subtle purple that the originals do.
    I have been experimenting for decades with different dyes to try to replicate the original black to purple fading without success.
    You may be better off using paint to replicate the partially faded black anodize. Ed did that on his show car and it looks pretty good.....
    JMHO
    H

Thanks Harvey

If I end finding a perfect patnina'd grill like I'm hoping for I may strip the paint off the one I have and see what lurks underneath. I had the same thought about finding some paint to replicate the grayish/purple that only 40 years of time can supply but it's worth a shot. Or maybe I'll bring the grill to a tanning booth and tell them to blast it with UV rays for a few days!

This reminds me of a few years back when B Tilton was trying to replicate the brownish fading on sport seat inserts.

NP
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Edmayo - if you're watching, what paint did you use on your 72 grill? Seems like i remember seeing a post you made about it, but I can't find it. This is my very faded 73 next to a painted chrome grill. I'd like to experiment on the chrome one. My 911S emblem and PORSCHE letters are faded as well, but nut quite as badly as the grill.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1973 S Targa #0098
    Member # 1498