Thread: Porsche Pits at Daytona

Porsche Pits at Daytona

Porsche went with an all white theme this year at Daytona. All of the cabinets, driving suits and chairs were the same exact shade of white. And we wonder why racing costs so much?

Name:  Porsche P1_edited-1.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  Porsche P2_edited-1.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  48.0 KB

Richard Newton
    JPL 935 Turbo

Corporate, corporate, corporate... everything is about presentation and image!

When I look back at many of the excellent racing photos from the 60s and 70s and see the conditions in which people worked it is quite amazing to note the difference.

For sure it has a big impact on cost... but, I suppose, when you look at a 'brand' like Porsche, it is all about unifying the corporate image, from dealerships to the racetrack.

For me though, something gets lost... something of passion and purpose...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

It's marketing and promotion. The current lines of clothing, hats, stickers, bags etc has run its course cosmetically. They need to refresh the offering for the various collections They'll have a Daytona line and probably a special Le Mans line with the return to the event. People actually buy that stuff. Lots of it. So they'll end up making money when all is said and done and get loads of unsolicited advertising when the new look hits the streets. The white/red looks good, but the goods are too pricey for me.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Small potatoes compared to the cost of the vehicles being thrashed about. I'm almost certain about that.
    1996 993 black/tan

It was cool that they numbered the two cars 911 and 912.

agree..I thought the numbering was a great idea......Porsche clearly knew that the NASCAR types that now run road racing in the US want it to be a series that promotes the driver and not a series that promotes the manufacturer. Note when watching Lemans this summer...they will have the car manufacturer listed when they show the running order. By numbering the cars 911 and 912, the folks who care about that type of thing would know those were Porsches.

You can bet they are working on the PORSCHE WINS DAYTONA poster as we speak...should be in dealership in 30 days...not gonna lie...I will be right in line to get mine.

Congrats Frank on an awesome outing.....I think you got two more young fans this weekend...at one point my 13 year old said...Dad...Frank Beck is only ____ seconds off the fastest car, they are doing great !....I was floored they were actually following that close...All along, I thought they were playing video games on those silly i-phones when we were watching the race

Quote Originally Posted by Dmill View Post
    not a series that promotes the manufacturer
    Although AutoWeek and a few other trade rags are running headlines like "Corvette Sweeps Rolex24". Yech.

Agreed. When they first said "The 911 car" I didn't realize what they'd done.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Barrett View Post
    It was cool that they numbered the two cars 911 and 912.
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth View Post
    Although AutoWeek and a few other trade rags are running headlines like "Corvette Sweeps Rolex24". Yech.
    And we all thought that GM was broke...Ha! Oh, that's right, we the people were repaid by worthless stock options.

If Porsche's objective was a clinically precise looking operation, they succeeded. At night when most of the pitside command post tents looked like dim caves lit by the glow of computer screens, the Porsche tents looked like well lit operating rooms.

Unfortunately, this was what the abandoned #911 (edit: #912, not #911 ) looked like at about 9am Sunday. Parked from a solid 2nd place. A factory engineer was tight lipped, said they weren't sure what happened, and they needed to disassemble the engine to find the cause. Simple. As Junior Johnson used to say, "she blowed up".

Ever wonder why 3300 lb stock cars don't end up in the grandstands?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Jim Garfield; 01-30-2014 at 07:09 AM.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823