Thread: Converting a 69 E induction to S specs

Converting a 69 E induction to S specs

Has anyone done this? I see Eurometrics name come up periodically as people have had TBs or stacks individually reworked. I am almost done with my 71 softie resto and am looking at the 914-6 on the rotisserie and wondering about the 2.7 RS spec engine that was the engine in the car when I bought it (I also have the original 2.0 pickled) that was running carbs. I have a set or two of 69 MFI inductions, and am wondering about converting them to 2.4 S/RS specs and dumping the carbs. Trying to get a handle on price. The carbs are nice because with K and Ns I have great access to the engine comprtment. With MFI, not so much.

I am looking for answers, not to get flamed. But if you feel the need, flame away. If you want to hurt my feelings, you will have to find them first.

Speedo
    Last edited by speedo; 01-29-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: because
    registry# 1283

Hi Lars, First off . . . no price/cost related content here just my opinion FWIW. I think MFI would be great on a 2.7 RS spec motor but I would not use a 69E MFI setup as the platform. Just a couple reasons which you should confirm with the experts 1) the 69 MFI Pump (002/006) will not take an RS space cam . . . it physically won't fit. And a 69E pump in stock form will be difficult to adjust to work with the cams (lots of custom work required). I'm running a 69E pump in my 2.5 with DC60's but have a MB Space Cam and I'm expecting some work to get it right. 2) the hard fuel lines for a 69E MFI will not work with an engine shroud from a later motor. The 2.0 liter has a flat shroud between the TB's vs. the later which have a tunnel for air flow to the oil cooler. You can run fuel lines from a later MFI but check to make sure they fit with the 69E TB's. 3) 69E cold start requires the original air housing vs. the later MFI which doesn't. Not sure if you can fit the air housing under the lid of a 914. Just my thoughts based on what I've learned from a few hard knocks. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by TEC69E; 01-30-2014 at 08:09 AM.
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

I should have been more clear...

Tom,
    You are correct. I need to clarify and be more specific. I already have a couple 2.4 S pumps. And I have both sets of fuel lines, and both shrouds. My question related directly to the modification of the TBs and stacks. The reason the question came up was that I have an early Andial twin plug 3.0 that has modified 69 TBs and stacks. Not sure who did the mods...most likely Andial. Engine looks to be a descendant of the early IROC 3.0 MFI engines. Sweet setup using the early mag parts.
    Knowing that...what's the consensus on modifying a set of 69 TBs and stacks?

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Just my thoughts but: 1. The 69 TB's have less material around the top port area ( 66mm stud hole to stud hole ) along with the Stacks also having less at the bottom where they mate to the TB's. The 2.2 TB's & stacks have more material ( 72mm stud hole to stud hole ) and can be bored out larger and safer than the 69's. 2. The 69's TB's & Stacks are a 1-year only production. Keep them stock. Someone will need them one day.
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    Carrera T w/LWB, MT, RWS, PCCB
    72 T 66 x 100 MFI Twin Plug Coupe
    R Gruppe #686