Thread: Sticky window new parts needed

Sticky window new parts needed

My drivers side window sticks about half way down and then needs a bit of help moving the window before i can wind it down further. I've now replaced all the pins in the winder mechanism, including the one on the spring, and had to rebuild and take apart the door several time to test various fix attempts, but i still have the same problem. I'm now convinced that the problem is that the runner on the bottom of the window and the plastic part that contacts the winder mechanism are both worn. Any idea where i can buy replacements for these parts in Europe? This was supposed to be an easy repair, but its now getting annoying.

Replaced pins in the winder mechanism
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  85.2 KB

The worn plastic biit on the winder mechanism
Views: 204
Size:  73.0 KB

Worn window runner
Views: 181
Size:  68.6 KB

Thanks
    Paul

I very VERY much doubt the problem is with either. They both look at least as good as all the ones I've seen (20 ish), and as long as the plastic bit slides smoothly along the window runner on your bench, then they'll do so in the door I'd say.

I'd look elsewhere for the problem, either for a tight spot in the window surround channel, or in the alignment of the surround sides (it is possible to bolt them so the two sides aren't parallel)

The only other observation I can offer is that I see a bolt/nut holding the winder frame together in the second photo. That should not be there and the nut might well be fouling something inside the door. I have some spare mechanisms so if a photo of one would help please pm your e mail address and I'll send some photos.

Hope this is of help

Mick

Thanks Mick,

I was pretty certain the bolt was supposed to be there. There is some adjustment on the angle of the window support and that is what that's for, but I will try again tomorrow and confirm its not fouling on anything inside the window. The bolt is normally at the back of the mechanism, so cannot be seen without removing the mechanism. I'll try removing the reinserting the surround channel and playing around with the surround sides.

The mechanism is from a 1970 T. I'll send you a PM as I would appreciate some photos.

Regards
    Paul

It's been a while since I've had my window regulator out, but I seem to remember that that bolt and nut pictured in the second photo are supposed to be there. I believe they are used to adjust something (you can see that they are actually in a slot, so they can be adjusted left or right), but for the life of me I can't remember what. It might be that the bolt and nut should be reversed so that the nut is on the other side of the metal arm.

My question would be: are all the teeth on the gear in good shape, or are a few worn down, thereby causing a problem raising or lowering the window at that spot. I had that happen years ago and took the regulator out and had the teeth built up with weld and then filed down to the correct size. They've worked ever since.

Apologies, Jetjok is correct.

Just looked at some photos I have and sure enough the bolt/nut is there.

Got your pm. I will photo tomorrow and post then.

Mick

The bolt and nut are there so that you can adjust the level of the lift/window.

Have you got that bolt loose? When you put your window in, you need this to be loose, to help with alignment.

Wind the window up and down, to set the alignment, and you'll notice that the bottom rail will tilt slightly, once you're happy with how it feels, reach into the door and tighten the nut, trying not to move the horizontal bar, as you tighten.

How do the teeth look? Does it clunk at all whilst winding? ( worn out teeth)

When you fitted the window surround, did you follow the factory recommended tightening order?

The frames are quite flexible, and you can tweak them, not allowing the curvature of the window to follow, without binding.

My drivers window was a bugger, when I got my car, after investigation I found that it was a combo of the frame not sitting right, and the window note raising level.

I hope that helps?
    Tony

Fixed it. Plenty of fiddling about with the adjustment bolt and the window frame. I them trimmed the felt and lubricated the window channel: Net result - a smoothly opening and closing window.
    Many thanks for the good suggestions.

Paul