Thread: Need Fitting Removal Help

Need Fitting Removal Help

My scavenge hose from the block to the tank began leaking. I decided to replace the hose and I removed the left side Heat Exchanger to access the hose fitting for removal. The problem is the fitting that's threaded into the block is spinning with the hose fitting. I can't seem to get any type of wrench on it to hold it in place. Between the push rod tube and the block casting, space is limited. Nothing will fit in there to hold the fitting in place while I unscrew the hose fitting. Is there a trick to this? Or a special tool? Thanks in advance

If I remember right you'll need a thin 32 MM open end to hold the adapter fitting. One solution, if need be, is to remove the "oil return" tube and then install a collaspable one when done with the oil line reinstall. You could also just let the adapter fitting come out with the oil line nut and then when its all out separate them then.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'm not sure I follow you with removing the oil return tube Ed. The line fitting is a 90 so it wont come off with the fitting. I believe the fitting takes a 26mm open and I think the return line fitting is 32mm.

You need to remove the oil return tube. Then you will have clearance for a counter hold on the fitting.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

I didn't want to remove the oil return tube and end up with one 2 piece setup odd ball non factory in appearance oil return tube setup. I trotted down to Harbor Freight and found this set of metric Chinese wrenches for Fifty bucks.

I didn't have to grind the wrench to fit. This is a narrow wrench set. The wrench fit like a glove. The fitting is 27mm hex and as Ed stated, the hose fitting is 32mm.

I found that I couldn't get enough leverage to hold the 27mm wrench, so I slid a pipe over it and they separated easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Well done! Great idea for those that don't have thin wrenches