Page 72 of 90 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: Special early 1964 features on 1965 cars

I'm quite a bit late to the thread. Was directed by Bob Flemming when I asked him to help out with my update of my 911/912 Authenticity book (he helped with the first one in 1988!). I owned two '65s in the distant past. I bought the first one in 1976 in London. It was advertised in the Exchange & Mart for £450, needing engine rebuild. Being a junior in college at King's London studying abroad, it seemed a good choice! Note mismatched headlight units.

I do not remember the chassis number. I've wondered if it could be traced by using the registration number it had when I bought it: TBC 21. It had the screw covers on the dashboard so I assume it was 301###. I regret not taking more photos. These are the best I could find. Having had a LHD '66 and '67 prior to that, I found the area under the front lid interesting -- but apparently not enough to take a photo. I brought it home to Indy but have no idea what happened to it.

I also had 300888 in 1980, a Swiss registered car that went to London for a couple months (Q plate), then also back to Indy. I was told it was destroyed by the person I sold it to. I need to go through pictures for the book project. I am certain that I have an interior photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Lido Gold?
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I distinctly remember that it was advertised as being "Tom Collins green" I never researched it because, hey, I was 21 years old. Didn't have my authenticity weirdness yet. I can't imagine it was original paint. Hope somebody in the UK can trace it back from the registration number. Then I'll be able to get the chassis number, build date and color. No questions about the original interior on either -- both black and totally authentic.

Great photographs! Don't recognise the car or reg number, but would love to hear more!

My new 914 Authenticity book is due from the printer on Monday, so I am back to the 1965-1973 911/912 book research. I would welcome any and all photos of these cars. Email me for details: 356drb@indy.net

The most recent chart shows dashboard buttons disappearing in June 1965. This is the best photo I could find (and you need the imagination of a radiologist to see them), but I remember that there were buttons on my RHD car. I have seen the photos of 300882 with buttons in this thread and would assume it was reupholstered, because mine looked like the standard LHD version. So, did RHD ones lose the buttons at the same time? Note also that the script on the dashboard is on the right side of the glovebox as are some later 1965 calendar year RHD 911s. It also has what I assume to be a replacement ignition switch with the wide bezel. 300888 had the small brass one. I still do not know the number from the RHD car, but assume it is a 301###. This photo was taken in 1976 and the interior of this car was quite original at that time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Note that the RHD car is not fitted with factory fog lights (has covers). So were they optional in the UK? Australia? It had a MPH speedo, so it should have been originally imported to one of those countries, yes?

It also has an aerial in what appears to be the wrong place on the right side fender. You can see in the photo above that it has no radio.

According to the (not always correct) Porsche parts manual, RHD cars in 1965 & 1966 did not have steering column locks -- nor did US cars.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Johnson View Post
    Note that the RHD car is not fitted with factory fog lights (has covers). So were they optional in the UK? Australia? It had a MPH speedo, so it should have been originally imported to one of those countries, yes?

It also has an aerial in what appears to be the wrong place on the right side fender. You can see in the photo above that it has no radio.

According to the (not always correct) Porsche parts manual, RHD cars in 1965 & 1966 did not have steering column locks -- nor did US cars.
    I'm not sure I can find the thread, but somebody posted a photo of an early wood-dash RHD 911 with a locking steering column which placed the ignition switch to the left (inboard) of the RHD steering wheel. He said the Kardex showed an FL (locking steering column) ignition key code. There was at least one early RHD car with a locking steering column.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    I'm not sure I can find the thread, but somebody posted a photo of an early wood-dash RHD 911 with a locking steering column which placed the ignition switch to the left (inboard) of the RHD steering wheel. He said the Kardex showed an FL (locking steering column) ignition key code. There was at least one early RHD car with a locking steering column.
    Found it: post #678 in this thread. It also shows a RHD "four-button" dash.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 10-12-2020 at 07:39 AM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Hey Brett, 300882 is my car, i'm in UK, you can come see it or just have a chat if you are in UK, pm me for contact details.
    Buttons are there (dash is definitely original) and yes Locking steering column as specified in Kardex.

P.S. TBC21 is not on DVLA database neither is QR

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Danger View Post
    Hey Brett, 300882 is my car, i'm in UK, you can come see it or just have a chat if you are in UK, pm me for contact details.
    Buttons are there (dash is definitely original) and yes Locking steering column as specified in Kardex.

P.S. TBC21 is not on DVLA database neither is QR
    Okay, this is my third attempt to post this....

I am certain that ,if an optional locking steering column was fitted it would have been the one fitted to LHD cars and would have been to the left of the steering column. Having said that, the speaker cover on 30088s is not authentic. I'm pretty confident that the buttons are.

The Q-plate was only on the car November/December 1980. The TBC 21 was on the car when I bought it in November/December 1975 and was on the car when I exported it back to the US in June 1976.

I am not in the UK, so I can't pop by, but I'd love to see additional detail phots or beauty shots of your car. I am always at: 356drb@indy.net