Page 84 of 90 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast

Thread: Special early 1964 features on 1965 cars

Quote Originally Posted by jonesliam1989 View Post
    great news, I was very satisfied after reading this article, but considering that I often drive a car and it’s easiest for me to listen to news about the radio, you can see the best options here https://gtd-review.com/10-best-singl...tereo-in-2022/
    first time i see a spam artist reply to him/her/itself....

now it can be removed by moderator

Here's a new one for me -- no screw horn grilles on 300018!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Brett, those are the hand made sheet brass folded and silver soldered prior to being chromed horn grilles. It actually has one screw coming in from the hood side, the outer side has a flat flange that tucks under and is held in place by the turn signal.

Moito has more exposure and has seen more than I, he has said that the apprentice Porsche workers that were making these didn't necessarily make them to a tight standard. They were made by factory workers prior to being cast by a vendor.
    When held you realize how light they were. If you get to Denver stop by Dave DiMaria's shop and see his from 300 040. Just super cool.

We do not know how many were made, maybe 10, maybe 20, maybe 50 sets. Car 040 is the highest number car that can be documented (so far) still having them.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Gentlemen

… thank you for this..

br from bavaria
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Wow, brilliant detail information on the earliest 911s. Who knew?!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

In my late May/65' Build painted dash 912, the grey Boge strut caps have the 902 part number rolled stamped into them. As I'm missing the caps from the two 65' 911's I'm building did the 65' 911 utilize the same cap or a cap with no part number stampings?
    All the Boge 911 NOS caps I have from the 70's and eighties have no part number stampings and are about 1/2" shorter the the 902 caps which are at 8.5" long..
    Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Thought I’d share a photo of my one bank of NOS 901 cyl heads.
    I’ve never seen earlier casting dates than 64/04 . They have NOS Beru spark plugs installed as found.
    These came out of the old VW Canada stock pile a long time ago.
    Regards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Wow Nice NOS heads. Beat us by a month ! On the other hand they all are original to the 901. Thanks.\

-Allen-

Chasssis 300898

No slots in front bumper overriders - the verticals on the front bumper, all chrome
    Aluminum plated deco trim (looking like chrome) on the end tip melded and likely welded at the circular end - no break in the material. Rocker trim and rear bumperette trims
    Front bumper is of a different dimension and the later style will not fit properly
    356 Style Bosch horns, one high tone and one low
    Yellow spade connector covers in the wiring throughout
    VDO, all plastic windshield washer pump produced up to late 1966 - so even early 1967 models had them - very rare, most replaced and no-one gets too exited about windshield washer pumps. Should have date stamp correspondent with chassis number
    Gray gas tank with a dated sender just before car delivery date.
    Date stamped gauges, mine are dated 11 and 12 1964.
    Gray cowl water drainage collector - molded plastic and too flexible really for the application - later replaced with molded fiberglass. Early plastic gray collectors had no part number, later ones had it molded in on the right front side.
    Black solid rubber tube connected to this drainage manifold, as opposed to the later corrugated type
    Four button dash - it's actually five, there is an additional forward button on the passenger side making a total of 5, with machine screw rubber covers (rare)
    6 pleats in the seats and ala-356, these pleats were perforated, as was the whole back of the seat, light gray plastic covers over the seat recliner mechanisms, which are different for driver's and passenger seats (driver lets in passengers to the back seat)
    Rear seats had the skirt around the bottom cushion and the corresponding carpet set was unique to fit this
    This carpet set had round banjo eye snap fasteners to hold down the carpet. This was labor intensive and was phased out outside of the first 1000 cars. the body had numerous welded build-up platforms to hold the snaps above the bituminous tar insulation that gives early Porsche's their nice smell
    The rubber buttons holding the wood facia on the ash tray are white, always
    Factory or dealership installs of radios had an amplifier hanging from the radio and sometimes a windshield wiper noise suppression system. 356 guys will know what we are taking about
    The cigarette liter knob is smaller in diameter than the later type
    The gas hood release button is a ridiculously small diameter knob, with a unique, rounded rubber grommet between it and the bulkhead
    The front driver's fender should not have a hole in the gas filler area. Flapper gas door has unique rectangle heavy hinge.
    Driver’s fender is stamped with the chassis part number at the cowl on the inside of the mounting flange
    Early ATE breaks should have heavy fins for cooling. Licensed from Brittish ATE and were the ONLY fastener plated gold (CAD II)
    Silver CAD I was the fastener finish and most body fasteners were "NSF", same as those used on the 356 of the same year.
    Kamex fasteners were also used but they were always CAD I, silver. Body speed bolts for fenders had a K on them
    There is no such thing as "Flat black paint" in 1965, so it should never be seen on any car from this vintage. Blacks tend to be gloss or half-semi gloss but never semi-gloss
    Rubber bellows on the rack and pinion are gray, not black. Also, there is a gray bellow on the accelerator cable exit at the rear bulkhead
    Gray vinyl strap to support the clutch cable
    Nadella axels, finished in gloss black paint - traditional body paint patina from a 1965 car
    Many smaller body components were CAD I silver plated but then painted black by the factory
    Carpet should be finished with black cotton trim and black vinyl with a deep grain, German plush carpet with accents of gray. Rubber molded inlays are custom and should be reused, as reproductions have never made them.
    No Recaro markings on the seat knobs (yes, they were Recaro, they just had not realized how cool they were)
    Aluminum formed steering wheel with Mahogany inlays on either side of the mandrel
    Mahogany laminated dash with a rear substructure of a fiber-molded construction - it’s quite unique and cool in it’s own right
    The part numbers are hand die-grinded onto the underside of the turn signal / lighting stalks - they had not set up the tooling for that part number stamp
    There are the use of single-slotted screws in the interior - not all have upgraded to Phillips-style
    Fasteners are chrome or CAD I plated, shinny silver
    The trunk latch hardware was slightly different in the early cars. Both latching sprung plunger stems were of the smaller rear deckled variety. The BOMORA stamps are unique on the early cars, with a slightly brushed surface behind the stamp
    The decklid release knob is round and not the later "T" type
    Door latch hardware is of the early variety with deep-drawn outer shells with plastic interior components that wear out quickly
    Inside door hardware is different too, a duel cable system that actuate the door unlatch. These brazed constructed cable assemblies live in a plastic sleeve that has plastic retainer snaps in the door. Again, ah-la 356. The later type were rods.
    The dash should have a stamped serial number under the lower facade and the door should have the last three serial numbers
    Window hardware is also unique. Flat lower sheetmetal guides accept round, sprung aluminum rollers that somehow stay in the slot!
    Headliner is not the ivory color sold in kits today but should be a light gray like 356 headliners from 1965
    Seatbelts were often installed stateside but the earliest ones were black plastic bombers with no Porsche crest
    Leather on the hand break cover and the shifter cover, hand-sewen
    Porsche used vinyl wallpaper remnants to shim the ash try into the correct position and smartly to dampen rattles
    The also often used scrap vinyl of a variety of colors, then painted black to cover bulkhead holes, or cap-off unused pipes
    Door / interior light peg-switches never had the rubber cover, nor aluminum retainer cone
    Glued, threshold ribbed rubber rocker covers on the door sills, always
    Hirschmann antenna located behind the gas filler cap with long stalk-body mounted onto the fender bulkhead with 10mm ATF bolts that are also single-slotted on the heads, again CAD I silver
    Body and fan large sheetmetal bolts should have a "K"stamp on the head
    Rubber, butimous material used as sound deadening material in many places. It has circular out-bumps and is very dense and makes an early 911 smell correctly on a hot day
    License plate of CAD I plated steel, not aluminum. Fasteners were Chromed and are marked, NSF Sad it gets covered up by the plate
    Wipers park on passenger side and should have black slender stalks of 6.5mm with stainless steel, silver Bosch wipers
    Early windshield wiper sprayers are polished chrome and shinier than the Porsche ones today which are a stainless steel
    Body should have the rear wheel well with those 12:00 brackets that no one seems to know what they are for, but they should be there
    The rear brake drum/disks should have the scalloped interior cutout, like a 356
    Webaster exhaust pipe with real white ceramic isolators on the underside where the body where the exhaust pipe mounts
    Four grilled chrome horn grills, glass black body paint should be behind them
    Rubber strips buffering the rear decklid grill from the surface, which often was painted black, if the body color was not white or bright
    Rear chrome bumpers should be mounted with slotted cheesehead screws - it’s in the parts catalog
    Center-drilled Solex cam oil lines should have a blue tracer in the steel woven mesh
    Bendix electric pump with Pierburg dual pump, Solex carbs, the picture is complete.
    Last edited by Paul Henninge; 09-12-2022 at 12:55 PM.
    1965 911 300898 901027
    1967 912 836174 European
    1968 911 11835602
    1971 Alfa GTV