Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The COA in the future....useless ?

The COA in the future....useless ?

If discussions on value are the #1 read topic on this board, the #2 topic has to be COAs. Matching numbers being the holy grail of value.

In September of 2013 I bought a 2014 Cayman S and a week ago I received a Fed Ex box with some Porsche propaganda, including a lovely paperweight with my Name, model # and VIN on it and a COA amongst other things like a nice book.

The COA has the VIN and the type of gearbox, LSD etc., but no serial numbers for those items. It also lists the options delivered on the car. Interestingly, I swapped the 20" platinum coloured wheels and the associated tires for standard 19" S rims and tires for a suitable discount at purchase time. So already my car has deviated from the COA

My question to the board on this snowy Sunday afternoon is, how will one ever be able to determine numbers matching in the future ? There is nothing to match on a modern COA. The Porsche boards of 40 years from now will look very different. Whatever will people discuss when "originality" for the major components is off the table
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

40 years from now no one will be discussing the current generation of cars,,,,,,by that time they will all have been recycled
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    40 years from now no one will be discussing the current generation of cars,,,,,,by that time they will all have been recycled

Interesting comment. I have long maintained that all one needs is a good machinist to keep any pre-electronic car running indefinitely. It may be expensive, but it can be done. Anything mechanical can be made again. With the current generation of cars, you need a programmer and many board level computers. Access to people who know the programming language, as well as the computers in the car is highly unlikely in 40 years. It's virtually impossible to find the ECU for the 1980 Saab 900T I owned from 84-92 for example. SO you may well be right.

[QUOTEThe COA has the VIN and the type of gearbox, LSD etc., but no serial numbers for those items.][/QUOTE]

Soccer Moms don't care
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I tend to fall into the thinking that the difference between our cars and those today ffw'ed in 40 years is the mostly number produced and the effort it took back then in relation today to manufacture these machines... Today's cars are tangible assets, no matter how beautifully engineered and complicated they might be, and their time decay is massive given non standardized electronic components and interfaces. Hence NortherThrux's comment about the mechanic is pretty much on the spot.... plus, again, who wants to collect what everyone else has anyway...

Plus they don't smell like cars, make up for their drivers shortcomings, and I would say that the adrenaline rush in a vintage 911 drifting with its tail nearly overshooting it is much better than feeling the PSM kicking in...

So. Who cares about today's COAs anyway?
    Last edited by Cooper77; 02-02-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    EarlyS #2333
    1970 911T Coupe black/black
    2013 991S 50y Anniversary Edition #206

In partial defence of the new cars, my CS is my winter beater and I wouldn't do this to my 911S. The CS is a beautiful and awesome car. But, yeah, I don't imagine it being valuable in 40 years. Unless all the others have melted away or had their computer brains fried. My COA question was tongue in cheek given the amount of discussion on COAs for the old cars.
    Name:  L1030422.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  77.7 KB
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 02-02-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Current crop of computer cars will be disposable and recyclable, doubt they will be collectable.

Love you CS, test drove one a few months back, manual transmission, fairly stripped (affordable). I think you are correct the CS makes a great daily driver in all weather scenarios. Could not buy because there are no roof transport options for the 981, no way to carry skis or mountain bikes. Very disappointed, it is a wonderful car, glad you are enjoying as it was meant to be enjoyed.
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

Because all the electronic crap will be toast.

I've also heard that BWM already has an issue with rodents eating their wiring harnesses because they are "green"/something from soy.
    However, I don't think BMW is the only one suffering this malady.
    Talk about something that will total a "new" car quickly...

Bubba? Think you can re-wire that there Porsh with the 3 or was it 7computers?
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

40 years from now I'll be 6 feet under...so it's a moot point for me

"Walkin' on the wrong side of the grass".
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111