Thread: Show me your suspension setup (track days/club/racing) - post 70.

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

Show me your suspension setup (track days/club/racing) - post 70.

Dear all,
    I need to significantly upgrade my suspension setup from stock to severe track days. I know there are some serious drivers out there, I would be interested to know what front/rear suspension setup you have.

I had a 1984 3.2 before and tuned up for trackday use, but I am talking narrow body, 6"x15 wheels, very light, stock setup.

When I talk suspension, I mean shock absorbers, sway bars, bushings, bearing, reinforcement, sway bars, torsions, camber plates,etc.

Cheers
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

mad scientist
    Track only and street driving suspension setups are very different. Looks like you have a 76 to start with. First, you might be tire limited so too much suspension and the rubber might have a problem keeping up.

Based on my personal preference for a streetable car that can hold its own at the track, I would start with:

22/28 torsion bars,

Dampers:
    Koni sport adjustable- I like these because they have softer compression damping and adjustable rebound damping that matches well with larger torsion bars.
    custom valved Bilstein

Elephant or Rebel Racing bushings (F &R) to free up suspension actuation. Update to the factory adjustable spring plates.

Adjustable F&R sway bars. (many options here). Use these to tune over/understeer to personal preference.

Square tire setup (Same size front and rear) to maintain front end grip. I like a little oversteer setup.

Other: Add F/R monoballs as needed depending on condition of existing strut mounts and trailing arm bushings.

In terms of chassis reinforcements? Not really needed at this point but if you are prepared to cut and weld...
    The first reinforcement would be to the 4 per side spring plate mounting bosses. I am starting to see cracks on well driven cars with worn spring plate bushings. Next would be the corners of the shock towers where they mount to the engine bay longitudinal structure. Also, center of the torsion bar forward to the bulkhead and upward to bottom of seat pan. Then I would cross brace the steering rack to axial mounts or weld steering tunnel braces.

My $0.02
    1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

I'm very interested in this info too. Subscribed
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Well thanks for the input...

This is the setup I start with :
    7x15 ATS wheels with Toyo R888 225x15x50 - 4 corners
    Front anti-roll bar : 22mm with Superpro bushes
    Rear anti-roll bar : 18mm with Superpro bushes
    Superpro strut mount bushes, Front torsion bar pivot bush and Rear torsion bar.
    Superpro Engine and gearbox mount set.
    De-cambered ball joint
    RSR strut brace

Refreshed and tuned Bilsteins with corner balance.

Stay tuned.

Xavier

Please continue to share your race/track set up.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407