Thread: must read books?

must read books?

I did a quick search and did not find a thread with this topic.

From another thread, I just bought: Porsche 911 - The Definitive History 1963 to 1971.

What are the great "early 911" or porsche books that are a "must read" for a porsche nut?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Excellence
    Porsche 911 Performance Handbook
    We At Porsche
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Here's a link to a quick search:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...archid=1004793

Probably find one or two threads that will help....
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 02-08-2014 at 09:20 AM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Interesting idea . . .

My first real 'reference' for Things Porsche was Karl Ludvigsen's 'Excellence Was Expected' . . . which does a decent-enough job of establishing the basics of the history of the company. Lotsa photos, too. My edition is pretty old, so . . . I presume the later ones are better/more-detailed/etc

I also have Paternie's 'Red Book' --- for 'numbers' . . . VIN, engine, trans, numbers of cars produced. Handy

The only other real 'reference' is Konradsheim's 'Carrera RS' tome . . . which is only about that one model, really. (I only got it because, at the time, it cost, like $20 --- + I thought it had some neat photos.) I do have a lot of stuff that I accumulated during my 356 Days, including some 911 material --- English publications w/ comments on 'problem areas,' special models, + misc stuff-to-look-for, etc . . . all in storage, right now

That's about it

The deal is that --- even after twenty-some years . . . what little I do know about these cars almost always come from owning them or being around people who mess with them . . .

. . . and also this site

I like books + reference material as much as anybody, but some of the cars + stuff that people have + 'share' about here . . . . I would never expect to find in any book --- or magazine article, for that matter . . . even if I knew where to look

Prolly why I haven't bought any more 911 reference books . . . . since I came here

Also --- why I can't stay away from this site!

We Can Be Heroes

Peter Morgan's Book

Here's one, looks like . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SandyI View Post
    . . . "ORIGINAL PORSCHE 911 - The Guide To All Production Models 1963-98." It's a terrific resource detailing the evolution of the 911 from it's birth . . .
    . . . haven't read it, though, so . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-09-2014 at 11:16 AM.

We Can Be Heroes