View Poll Results: If you had JUST ONE Longhood . . . what would it be?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stock/original/'zero tolerance'

27 27.84%
  • Basically stock . . . w/ a few modern funtional changes

25 25.77%
  • 'Stock' on the outside . . . just not underneath

9 9.28%
  • "R Gruppe" cars that are only limited by looking period correct

34 35.05%
  • Dedicated/no BS Track Cars . . . 'nuff said'

1 1.03%
  • Gruppe B . . . no rules

1 1.03%

Thread: What Kinda Car?

What Kinda Car?

Re-freshing/-firing Bobboloo's Olde Threade --- actually an Olde Polle . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Longhood-Boat

Anyway, it's been 7 years (!) since this question was last asked. I've only been here ~5 --- and the results of this Olde Polle don't come up on that thread, any more . . . but I've seen a lot of New Members come in just since I've been here . . . and some Old Members drift off . . . so I'm curious what the current consensus of our readership is on this subject

Anyway --- let 'er RIP! . . .

. . . What level of modification would you go to? #1 is zero tolerance to mods to #6 the sky is the limit.

1 . . Classic SWB and LWB museum pieces that only get driven to maintain them. Show pieces you see at events. (These are Mr. Peabodys' way back machines that throw you back to the day they rolled off the showroom floor.)

2 . . Early SWB and LWB numbers matching cars that appear almost completely stock but have a few modern unviewable upgrades to improve maintenance and the driving experience. (These are usually weekend fun cars that allow you to relax and re-live the days when life was simpler.)

3 . . Early LWB cars that appear stock on the outside but are heavily performance modified underneath. These make use of modern improvements applied to them in the form of suspension mods, flares, chairs and even 3.2/3.6 motor transplants. These are often daily drivers. (Anyone can buy a BMW zzzzzZ4 or Nissan Z whatever but an Early 911 longhood wins with a cool factor hands down.)

4 . . Early SWB and LWB hotrod "R Gruppe" cars that are only limited by looking period correct. They look like period racers. Replica cars of the 911R, 911ST and Carrera RS/RSR also fit in this category. Some are daily drivers some are event cars. (Owners previously owned soapbox racers, Schwinn Stingrays or BMX bikes, depending on their age group, and have blatantly refused to ever grow up.)

5 . . Early SWB and LWB track cars. No BS. (Nuff said)

6 . . "Gruppe B" bastard cars that have no rules. They are there solely for the purpose of the owners creative vision for good or bad depending on ones' veiwpoint. This is a category that seems to be frowned upon for the most part here on the Early S Board but consider that the first Porsche, number one, was actually a Gruppe B car. It was Ferdinands' vision. (Village idiot or Village visionary, you make the call.) . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-08-2014 at 01:30 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

25 responses, so far . . . and looks to be pretty-much split down the middle --- between R-Gruppers and the more-or-less leave-'em-aloners

I was expecting more . . . commentary . . . on this whole topic

Also, more participation

I'm the Hard-rocky-core/originality type --- your basic total dinosaur. And as long as I can somehow find + afford The Real Thing . . . and there's any breath in my body . . . I'll search-out + get + make the Old Porsche Stuff work. I'm sure at some point, I'll be forced to adjust my attitude . . .

. . . just not, yet

Besides? . . .

. . . I'm still breathing!

We Can Be Heroes

Hmm...My car doesn't seem to fit in any of these groupings. I must have a mut.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    Hmm...My car doesn't seem to fit in any of these groupings. I must have a mut.
    +1 Mine came with RS quarter panels and I just can't see changing them. So not original, but kind of subtle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

What a difference a coupla weeks make . . .

Does look like 'preservation' is trumping. I suspect that this trend 'll continue . . . especially as values escalate

Still --- considering how many people are on this board? . . . only 60-some responses

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    more . . . commentary . . .
    Oh, alright. First, the car should be driven, and that means it should be safe. And that means... no deep sixes as you cannot mount modern tires on those safety rimless wheels (or is there a way?)

Fuses must be added to the electrical system to add some safety there too.

My vision is similar to an R-gruppe car, but I don't care if it looks period correct or not. I might call it an "evolution" and if I put a more powerful motor and aluminum parts on it, that makes it drive better. I wish I had stitch welded it before the repaint too.

It bugs me when some one says my car is not correct.

I did not see a category for 'safety updates only' or for whatever I've done either...

Where's the wide body painted red option?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Sleeper- Street

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    Oh, alright. First, the car should be driven, and that means it should be safe. And that means... no deep sixes as you cannot mount modern tires on those safety rimless wheels (or is there a way?)

Fuses must be added to the electrical system to add some safety there too.

My vision is similar to an R-gruppe car, but I don't care if it looks period correct or not. I might call it an "evolution" and if I put a more powerful motor and aluminum parts on it, that makes it drive better. I wish I had stitch welded it before the repaint too.

It bugs me when some one says my car is not correct.

I did not see a category for 'safety updates only' or for whatever I've done either...
    I`ve saved this plate for future use.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

'. . . May I have Another?'

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    . . . bugs me when some one says my car is not correct . . .
    Took my car to last year's Friends of Steve McQueen Car Show . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Steve-McQueen

I'd just got my Kardex --- found out the car was ex-Versuch + ex-Jo Siffert . . . and was sooooooo pumped

Pulled in, parked up, taped-up my signage . . .

This Guy walks up --- eyeballs the car for, like, 2 seconds . . .

'You know you're missing your exhaust tip? . . .'

'Thank you! . . .'

We Can Be Heroes

Bumpity-doo-dah

We Can Be Heroes