Thread: Hella 128 details

Hella 128 details

Whilst looking for a set of Hella 128 fog lights for my restoration, I have seen some nice repros. and some nice used sets for sale here.
    My question is that most of them seem to have a smooth chrome outer whereas some (a really nice pair with yellow lenses that sold on here last week http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ight=hella+128 ) have a raised section on top with the Hella logo.
    I guess the bodies are the same but the bezel is different?

Which Hella 128

Hello 9er,

in the mid 60's parts book is listings for four Hella 128 lamps. They are part numbers 901.... quartz 55w both with clear lens and a clear reflector or a yellow reflector (country specific). The other two are part numbers 644... tungsten 35w lamps, clear lens again with a clear reflector or a yellow reflector (possibly also a yellow lamp). The tungsten 35w was USA, quarts 55w Euro.

The repros are very good looking and functional (I believe they are quartz), but the parts are not interchangeable to the Period 128's.

Where the yellow lens' came from is unknown. Edit (see CW's expert comment in the next post - 356 part) They look good on some color cars but if you need period parts - clear was the Porsche offering. Edit for the mid 60's 9 series cars.

(I do have a NOS, in the box tungsten light (only one) for a even $1K +shipping). Probably not what your looking for. Just putting it out there. That's what a new one looked like in 1964 -1968.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Bobs 67S; 02-08-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Bob,

The yellow lenses date back to the 356-B T-5 Porsches beginning in MY1960. The B T-5 parts book lists
    the following:

644.631.201.03 Fog lamp, Yellow Glass, Europe, optional.
    and
    644.631.201.04 Fog lamp, White glass, USA, optional.

CW

A tip of my hat to CW.

Boy that guy knows his stuff - far more Porsche "correct" info than I'll ever know.. (edits as noted).
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Thanks Bob and CW.
    From those pics Bob the NOS part doesn't feature the bezel that I was curious about.
    So perhaps this style dates earlier still?
    Name:  SV104871.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  65.3 KB

i have had a lot of 128s for my 356s and early 911s nos and used and have never run across that bezel with the markings-also notice the triangle shaped hole which is most likely for water drainage-I think it should be on the bottom-I think the bezel is upside down and that light mounts from the bottom and not for 356 or early 911
    paul chappell