Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any "Mysteries" in Restoring a Shifter Assembly?

Any "Mysteries" in Restoring a Shifter Assembly?

I've run a 'search' for previous threads covering restoration of shifter assemblies, and only got 8 threads.

It seems that the assemblies are pretty straightforward: chrome shifter; black mounting plate; some small working parts underneath.

Are there any 'mysteries' buried that the community of enthusiasts would be willing to share?

thank you.

That's pretty much it.

Get an old screw driver and grind the edges down, to re-fit the springs. The shop manual has the specs for the tool.
    Tony

Mysteries of Shifter R&R

Wear safety goggles.

Work in a confined space so that when the spring fires across the room (it will) you can find it again.

Do not work near children, domestic animals or anything that cannot withstand a direct hit from a 3/8" diameter spring with enough tension to open your garage door. This includes your 911.

Have something magnetic handy to catch the circlips that go on the end of the pins when they fly loose.

Coat everything in grease so that it becomes impossible to hold your $10 screwdriver with $5 ground off the tip or your something magnetic handy.

Nobody completes the job on the first try. Everyone completes it on the second. Therefore, when you get up the motivation to do this project, go inside and watch the Olympics.

END OF MYSTERIES
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

^^^^^ Yes.
    Jake
    Early 911S Registry Member #2799
    1973 911S - "Tangerine Tornado" - Two Time SCCA Solo II National Champion (1976 and 1981)
    1967 Corvette Roadster (Black/Black/Black) 4-speed

replace the metal sliding lock out plate for the reverse/1st gear, if this thing is worn at all then your dog leg shifting will not be as precise and grind more. There are a couple plastic spring holders that you can replace as well but not always as nessesary.

I use a long pin punch that I start into the hole on one side and then into the spring. I bend the other end of the spring down on the opposite side then slowly push the punch through which captures the spring and then line it up with the opposite hole in the housing. Spring doesn't go flying that way.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I use a long pin punch that I start into the hole on one side and then into the spring. I bend the other end of the spring down on the opposite side then slowly push the punch through which captures the spring and then line it up with the opposite hole in the housing. Spring doesn't go flying that way.
    I tried that and the pin punch flew out and hit me in the safety goggles. Maybe I should move to Dallas.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I LOVE this community! 304065 had me laughing out loud.

what is great is that you guys have so much experience that small details are second nature to you, as a group. as a community, we need to figure out how to make this information more accessible, especially with some humor included. i have always loved the porsche get-togethers because there is so much friendship and laughter. it would be really great if we injected some of that laughter into our technical information, so that we are smiling "when we get up the motivation to do this project," then "go inside to watch the olympics." you guys are great.

Be sure to coat all of the surfaces with white lithium grease. I just put a Wevo shift coupler in last week! OMG what a difference. If you have the means I highly recommend you pick one up. Ordered mine from pelican with all new bushings. Best money I ever spent on the car.

1971 911T Targa Light Ivory

are you talking about a WEVO short shifter kit?